Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Uneven tyre wear...question from a friend!

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 01:08 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

My steering geometry was checked on Saturday and was found to be "within" specification. However BOTH my rear tyres are completely BALD on the inside 25% of the tread and all the way round, the rest of the 75% across the tyre tread has got 2mm left all the way round.
The front tyres have got 4mm tread left all the way round and completely across the tyre width, and they have worn very evenly.

wWat I am concerned about is the following:

1. I have only done 8600 miles and in that time it has been serviced 3 times - why
didn't the garage spot this earlier and report it ? It is only 4000 miles since the previous
service was done in February, I don't believe that these tyres were absolutely okay
then, and I don't believe that they have worn completely bald in just 4000 miles.
Why didn't they report the uneven wear ?

2. What has gone wrong that could have caused such a rapid tyre wear rate ?

3. What is to say that whatever has caused this rapid wear is NOT STILL there, and will not continue to wear out my next set of tyres etc ? The garage has not done anything to the steering, they said it was on the extreme outer edge of geometry
tolerance, and they have moved it nearer to the centre of tolerance - that's it ! That
has cost me £70 and 2 knackered tyres !!

I tell you Tim I am well pissed off but not sure what to do about it. Do you have
any ideas as to what has caused this rapid wear ? Perhaps you know somebody
who might know ? Perhaps you could e-mail Scoobynet and ask the "lads" advice,
they might know ? I don't drive like a lunatic. I have never kerbed the wheels, and
you can see that by the condition of my wheels, I avoid potholes like the plague,
so what the F**K is going on !!!!!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Please could anyone with any ideas please post here and I'll make sure he looks at your responses. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Old 17 July 2001, 02:12 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Are you saying in 8600 miles he has never bent his knees and checked his own tyre treads
Old 18 July 2001, 03:43 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

So the inside edge of the rear tyres is wearing.

Has He had the rear alignment(toe in/out checked as thats the most obvious.
If so, don't know if it can be adjusted (Should be able to), but it sounds like the rear camber angles are out.

Camber = Angle of tyre to the vertical (can be seen on severely lowered BMW's.

Anyone that can explain this better pls have a go.

You can get the angles checked at a good tyre dealer with 4 wheel laser alignment. Costs about £60+, Cheaper than a couple of tyres

Hope this helps and doesn't you confuse to much

Iain.
Old 18 July 2001, 09:07 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Despite being four wheel drive the Impreza still wears the front tyres much quicker than the rears.The fact that the rear tyres are more worn than the fronts suggests that the tyres have been swapped from front to rear quite recently,which may point to the original problem being with the front of the car not the rear.The Impreza is very sensitive to geometry changes and are notorious for coming from the factory with the settings a mile out.It sounds like yours was a 'friday afternoon special'.

Also I have read lots of threads about uneven front tyre wear,with some people wearing the insides while others (like myself) wear the outsides.I can't remember many threads about uneven tyre wear on the rear though.

The average for a set of tyres seems to be about 15-20K although an enthusiastic driver will get under 10K so the Impreza is very heavy on tyres and thats with the correct geometry.

As Dyney says I would have it checked somewhere with a good reputation such as Powerstation or Michelever tyres(sp?)

HTH

Andy
Old 19 July 2001, 06:11 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the <B>helpful</B> replies. I shall email him to ask him to read the useful ones. Cheers