Which Pads for AP 4 pots - on and off track

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2001, 03:00 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Although I don't mean in the gravel.

The 4 pots are on 16 inch wheels, so need the 46mm pads.
I've used the std AP pads, which are fine for road use, and tend to last for 2 track days. These cost about £134 (not sure if VAT included).
Pagid Blues seem popular, but at £189 + VAT, are they worth the extra? Will they last an extra track day?
I'm not sure if EBC green or red are good enough for track. Has anyone got experience of yellow or blue?
And I've seen lots of comments on Mintex and Ferredo, but not for the AP 4 pot kit - any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02 July 2001, 08:47 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Trig, I used Carbon Metallics Z rated for road use, and the odd track visit. They do not squeal, or eat discs. And they only cost £60 (Hi-Spec).

Dan
Old 02 July 2001, 09:11 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have DS2000 on my AP kit , work very well from cold and given some heat they work even better and were £75.
Dave
Old 02 July 2001, 10:20 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Trig, the only Ferodo in D46 fitting is 4003F, which is well thought of judging by feedback of this BBS. Mintex 1155 and Pagid RS42 (Blue) are also listed, as are several Performance Friction Carbon Metalic pads (though no ZRate). Not forgetting the AP Japan-ZX which you already have.

This may not be a completely up-to-date list, but I reckon it's between Mintex and Pagid. Call Mike at ScoobyMania and see what's actually in stock!

Richard.
Old 04 July 2001, 04:55 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,
Am trying some DS2000 - a lot cheaper than APs - will give some feedback after Brands on Monday
Old 04 July 2001, 07:43 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

"They do not squeal, or eat discs. And they only cost £60"

Dan mate I think your using a cheaper or alot better type of Carbon pad mate, I used Carbon Mets for 2 track days and I now have cracked AP Discs on 1 set of Pads!

After coming back from the Ring this weekend I was using Mintex 1155's and they were superb with the AP Kit and loads of life left in them! just as cheap as the Carbon Mets, Mintex also have a new type of Carbon Pad which does not kill the discs unlike other Carbon Pads but wears the pads. Now I know I would rather change Pads than AP Discs.

Ive also tried Pagids and they are Disc Killers too as a chunk of my Disc fell out on the M1 on the way home after the last Dono track day which was a litty hairy, brilliant stopping power but similar to the carbon mets for wear on the AP Kit.

You can also go for EBC's but I haven't tried those on the AP Kit as ive still got 4 sets of spare pads to get through, I will still throw in the Carbon mets when the discs are nearly dead as they must the best stopping pads around.

Harj...
Old 05 July 2001, 08:49 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Harj, I am speaking from using these myself.

I used two sets of pads before I had to replace the discs, which including being used on two track days (using 83 compound pads).

At the end of the day it comes down to the way DIFFERENT people drive. Some pad/disc combinations will last longer with one person than that used by another.

Dan
Old 06 July 2001, 01:58 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Harj.
You do come out with some tosh sometimes you know!

Stef.
Old 06 July 2001, 10:05 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Question

OK Stef what do you think

I suspect you have tried more pad types than most.
I'm running out of pad for the AP 4 pots as you have and would like to know where to go next - my main problem on the track if fade as I like LFB - I've upgraded the fluid to AP600 which has made a great difference to feel but which pad will work well on track - but still offer some stopping power from cold on the road.
I'm using EBC reds in a 450kg car with AP 4 pots at the front and they work well on the track but are a liability when cold.
Life is a compromise but in your experience without going to the trouble of changing pads at the circuit which would you recommend for trackdays???
Old 06 July 2001, 10:07 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Question

OK Stef what do you think

I suspect you have tried more pad types than most.
I'm running out of pad for the AP 4 pots as you have and would like to know where to go next - my main problem on the track if fade as I like LFB - I've upgraded the fluid to AP600 which has made a great difference to feel but which pad will work well on track - but still offer some stopping power from cold on the road.
I'm using EBC reds in a 450kg car with AP 4 pots at the front and they work well on the track but are a liability when cold.
Life is a compromise but in your experience without going to the trouble of changing pads at the circuit which would you recommend for trackdays???