Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

So long Redstuff it's been good to know you ...NOT!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2001, 10:57 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Fitted Redstuff in anticipation of a whirl round Knockhill.
Checked them after about 2 hours in. Not 2 hours on the track mind. And it was pretty wet so I wasn't pushing it. And my slow Alfa driving friend was even more respectful of the Scoob. And his wife was even gentler. And it was wet. And I let everything cool between laps cool down laps and all that.
Well, the ******* were all but gone
Had a few very gentle laps but was forced to call it a day early. Must remember to pack those spare pads next time.
Went by Falkland in Glenrothes on the way back and picked up some Mintex 1155
Got home and took off the "old" pads (1500 miles road use 2 and bit hours stop go track use)Well I say pads there was hardly any pad left ! Barely 1mm of very evenly and decisively fecked pad!!
Has anyone else had a similar experience with EBC Redstuff?
How can they get away with describing them as suitable for track when patently they are not?
Well anyway track is fun. I may be a glutton for punishment(the wallet certainly is) but I can't wait to get back out there ( when's the next outing to Knockhill John S?)
Old 01 July 2001, 07:56 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Doogsy
Got through a "just run in" set in 2 x 20 min sessions. I was very hard on them - they worked - so I expected quick wear.
I have little experience with these brakes but would expect that as with all things mechanical eg tyres/engines, hard use causes rapid wear ?!?
I'm open to advice on getting the same/better braking with less wear though.
Stan
Old 01 July 2001, 08:33 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Stan
I didn't even feel I had used them hard and the performance wasn't that great.
Standard discs and Mintex 1155 was better and there was little or no wear.
Now have black diamond grooves cross drilled thought that would reduce heat build up.
Now back on Mintex even form first use much much better retardation and initial bite.
Redstuff never felt like they were going to stop you!
Old 03 July 2001, 05:22 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

I had greenstuff fitted and done 2 track days and around 1500 road miles and had about 2 mm left . They gave excellent bite and I was happy with them . I changed to reds on advice from EBC , done around 2000 road miles , done a track day at mondello which is easy on brakes and on my last session at another track day on Sunday they wore out completely down to the metal . They don't have the same bite as greens but cost twice as much . IMHO it would be better value to buy 2 sets of greens and know you have brakes and forget about reds . I'm running standard discs .
Old 03 July 2001, 08:59 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

3 track days done at K/hill and have used these.

Greens-fitted when I could not get
Reds/Yellows in time-good on road,okay for 4laps and then cooked.came out worn uneven,but then these are not for track use.

Reds-best all round pad but dead in under 40laps.worn evenly.never really found cold perf. on road an issue.

Yellows+Pagid 16 groove discs-hard to be honest as K/hill was so wet on Saturday,but after approx 35/40 laps there is plenty material left and they look to have worn evenly.possibly need to get braided hoses and better fluid as pedal seems to have a fair bit of travel.road use is compromised,they need more pressure when cold and you have to remember this when coming off motorways ect.

one thing I do wonder about is that if Reds wear out quickly,they must be kinder to the discs which cannot be a bad thing.I would rather change pads after a track day than discs.comments please..

john