Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Handbrake catching ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2001, 12:38 AM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Over the last few weeks I've noticed the problem detailed below occasionaly. The car is a UK spec MY97 Turbo. The back discs and parking brake shoes are the original ones which have covers 42,000 miles.

When driving along at various speeds I notice an occasionally droning noise coming from the rear (it doens't change on left/right hand bends, so I don't think it's a wheel bearing), if I pull the handbrake lever up one notch it stops and usually after releasing the handbrake it doesn't occur again for a while.

Also when I've washed my car I drive my car for a mile with gentle use of the brakes to dry them. However after I've parked it overnight next day the handbrake seems to have stuck on and the car makes quite a crunch/thud freeing of the handbrake. This didn't use to happen.

Before I strip down the handbrake assembly does any one know what the minimum thickness is for the handbrake shoes and also the thickness of new ones.

Has anyone with a higher mileage than me had to replace the handbrake shoes ?

Thanks,

Ian

p.s. The handbrake hasn't been used for turning the vehicle around !!

Old 26 June 2001, 06:32 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

my brakes also seem to jam on if left overnight after washing it.i think rust develops betwween the pads and disks and almost welds together thus the loud noise that can be heard when they separate.other cars ive owned also done this its nothing to worry about.
Old 26 June 2001, 06:38 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

also i never leave the hand brake on i always slip it into first gear after my cable snapped on another car.sounds like the pistons may be sticking slightly in the caliper or the handbrake mechanism is sticking.
Old 26 June 2001, 10:13 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Mine does this, and it can be cured temporarily by briefly applying the handbrake while the car's moving slowly. A 'clunk' from the back and it's all unstuck. I asked a dealer to look at it at the last service and they 'adjusted' it but it still happens.
Old 27 June 2001, 11:20 AM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys, what age and mileage are your cars ? I forgot to mention that the car pulls up squarely when I brake too. I replaced the rear pads about 1500 miles ago and the pistons went back fine.

Any more thoughts ?

Ian
Old 27 June 2001, 08:45 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

my car is a 99 5 door with 19000miles.you could try jacking the back up and with the tyres in the air see which one is sticking . just in case its one wheel causing the grief.
Old 28 June 2001, 12:33 AM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

Carl,

The pulling up square bit was just to indicate that the disc brakes front and rear appear to be opperating fine.

I was already aware of the combined rear disc/drum and shoes arrangement of the handbrake, thanks.

I spoke with another Scooby driver last night, who's sugested removing the drums and cleaning them out. He thinks this may cause my problem. I'll give it a try this weekend, weather permitting.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 28 June 2001, 08:14 AM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

Hi Subevo,

Unfortunately our wonderful AWD system prevents you spinning wheels to see which is catching !!! Even with all four wheels in the air you'll be turning all the drivetrain !

Thanks anyway.

Ian
Old 28 June 2001, 09:07 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

ikinder -- 42,000 miles also. It's been doing it since about 35k.

The pulling up square should be irrelevant, as the handbrake has its own drums and pads which aren't used when the footbrake is operated (I presume due to the difficulty of locking pads onto discs -- particularly hot ones).
Old 28 June 2001, 06:52 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

if it is a drum brake arrangement.one possible fault could be that the chamfer on the brake shoe has worn down.the chamfer is there to stop the shoes binding.all new brake shoes have this progressive lead in.just file a larger chamfer.i hope this makes sense.as ive had this fault on other cars.
Old 30 June 2001, 08:38 PM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

I've found my problem gents.

See my new topic under Rear drum removal problem !

Thanks,

Ian