Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

16" to 17"....What are the benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2001, 08:18 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks!

I need some advice about this.....I'm thinking about fitting a set of P1 anthracites to my MY00, in addition to Brembo brakes and up-rated suspension.

Do the 17" anthracites with P Zeros really improve the handling and grip or are they more cosmetic than anything else?

Opinion is divided on this matter, with for example, Falkland Performance Centre being very much in favour of the smaller and stronger 16" wheels, but with a couple of other owners telling me that bigger wheels are a must!

What's your experience of this guys...????

Cheers
DBM
Old 27 June 2001, 08:42 PM
scrapydoo
Scooby Newbie

Hi DBM

I've had the 17" anthracites fitted for about 8 weeks now on MY00 the ride feels better with the Pirelli's but I'm not sure on the grip as I had SO 2's before which were un-real!

The turn-in feels sharper on 17" than the standard 16" but I think it will be better with SO 2's or 3's.

I say go for it because they look cool and you can go for the brake up-grade when your discs are shot.

JP
Old 28 June 2001, 04:47 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Hi DBM
I have the OZ Supertusrismos 17'' Gold with 48mm offset while the P1's (OZ also) is 53mm.

The main difference between 16'' and 17'' is the grip of course (usually bigger wheels), but most important I think is the steering response with the 17'' and the less tyre-flex. Witch is good, but means in extreme situations (brakes in corners) that the car is more sudden. This is my way of thinking but I am still with the 17''...

Regards Jim
Old 28 June 2001, 05:55 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Chaps

The important things with wheels are...

the effect on unsprung weight (a HUGE influencing factor in handling) and the trade off between tyre flex and grip over changing surfaces..

A larger wheel will mean less sidewalls flex which means more responsive and precise handling, but less forgiving over rough surfaces, where the additional flex is able to take up the inconsistencies.

You will also have a smaller sweet spot on the steering (that point where the steering is at it's heaviest so you know the tyres are working at their optimum), but this is not a big deal.

When you increase the size of the wheel, you obviously make it heavier, but some wheel designs mean that the additional weight is traded off by the reduction in weight by the amount of tyre you lose.

In general 17" on an impreza is a very good compromise. I personally think 18" is too big.

The P1 wheels are pretty light (as far as I know) and feel lovely on the car. P Zero's are questionable though. Not sure if Toyo might be a better choice.

Cheers

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 28 June 2001).]