Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake/Suspension Up-Grades

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2001, 07:58 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With PPP now fitted, my Turbo needs better brakes/suspension to cope.....
I want a completely new braking system...the works.....and improved suspension(not necessarily lower)....would 17" wheels make that much difference too....?
Any suggestions, including costs, would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
DBM
Old 17 June 2001, 11:23 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
DBM,

You've done this the wrong way around, should have done brakes, suspension then power IMHO(for what it's worth!)

Anyway, presume your coming from 16" not 15" like me. I found them to be much better, crisper turn in, better steering feel, more predictable if that makes sense. All the slushyness taken out. I've used Yokohama A520 - Good feedback, poor wet grip, let go steadily - ultimatley average grip levels.
Bridgestone S02's - long bed in period, superb grip levels dry/wet - soft compound means outer edges get a hammering if you drive enthusiastically. Pzeros - too early to tell, but so far so good, less feel then So2's, but let go with more feel. Only done 500 miles so far.

Brakes - I've got the Alcon/Prodrive kit and it is excellent, you will not be disapointed. I pondered for ages about deciding on a kit but was worried with all the problems with some kits and warped/cracked disks etc so decided that the best warranty would be with the dealer. I personally don't think the AP kit looks like a £1000+ kit on the car, unlike the Alcons which look the business.

Suspension - I've had the Leda B on my old wagon and it changed the car from good handling/road holding to super car levels. My old wagon had a std engine and I could easliy keep up(and sometimes pass) cars with 60+ bhp more. You really do have to re calibrate your thinking of what is possible. I've now had this kit swapped to my P1 and it's still superb. Tbe cars also look much better a bit lower.

Alcons were £1200 plus fitting - get some discount from your dealer.
Ledas are now just over £1000. My kit is now working better on the P1 than the wagon - maybe my dealer fitted it better than Leda did ? certainly Leda didn't check the geometry after installation !

Regards

Steve.
Old 18 June 2001, 12:42 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DBC, run a search (top-right of screen).

Richard.