Notices

Coolant Level

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 04:02 PM
Alan wrx-sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Level

I need to bug your brains some more guys.

I had a problem about 2 weeks ago when the top radiator pipe burst on me when I was coming of the motorway, the temp on the Apexi hand unit did not go above 100, I mamaged to get the car home.

I drained the old coolant.
Upon fitting the new pipes to the radiator, I filled the system that evening left it over night to allow the coolant to settle and then checked it the next morning to find it had dropped a little but not much, I topped to up and all was good.

What I notice now after taking the car for a bit of a blast and being in boost some on the coolant is being pushed into the expansion bottle, when I finish a run I do notice the coolant in the expansion bottle is going up and down and has bubbles coming out of it, but no coolant coming out of the expansion overflow pipe.

I took it for a slightly harder run yesterday and when I checked the expansion bottle, there was a drop (and I mean only a tea-spoon amount) of coolant that had come out of the overflow pipe from the expansion bottle.

Anyone got any thoughts on this or what could be causing this???

Head Gaskets….
Air Lock….
Radiator Cap….
Water Pump….
Etc, etc…..

Oh I had the head Gaskets changed about 3yrs ago, when I had the block and heads skimmed, up-graded gaskets used and up-graded to APR head bolts.

Any thoughts Welcome.
Old 21 May 2009, 05:06 PM
W9LTN
Scooby Regular

i changed my rad and found that the level dropped every time i ran the engine. what i did was leave the filler cap of the reservoir turned the engine over for a couple of seconds then filled it back up. just repeated the process until i couldn't get any more in. then topped up expansion. never had a problem since. on a uk turbo 2000 MY00
Old 21 May 2009, 06:15 PM
clark822
Scooby Regular

have you got the heaters set to hot when your filling it up ?
Old 21 May 2009, 06:26 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

id try the air lock approach first but i did have the old bubbles in my expasnion tank and it would let the water go out, down the side of the arches and it was the head gasket, i hope its not that dude but you can always get them to do the old block test and not them computer ones because they dont read right unless its really gone
Old 22 May 2009, 08:27 AM
Alan wrx-sti
Scooby Regular

I don't have to worry about the heaters as the heater matrix went right after I got the head gaskets fixed.

At the mo just by passing the heater matrix by looping the coolant pipes at the rear of the engine, if that makes sense....

Alan.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:33 PM
Alan wrx-sti
Scooby Regular

Any other thoughts?
Old 22 May 2009, 03:10 PM
adidasandy
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem and I changed the rad cap and all has been well since.
Andy

Trending Topics

Old 23 May 2009, 03:45 AM
al_P
Scooby Newbie

replace your rad cap also check if your thermostat is operating properly i went through 2 radiators before i realised my stat was sticking causing excess pressure in the radiator in my case causing the radiator to blow
Old 23 May 2009, 07:19 PM
mackcat
Scooby Newbie

hello mate
it sounds like the cooling system is just doing its job,the coolant in the ex tank will go up as the car gets hot.if you want mark where the coolant is when cold,check when hot it should have gone up a bit,then check again when cold should be back on the mark.
allso when hot check top and bottom hoses are hot to see if coolant is getting round the system ok.