Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

EBC = mintex ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2001, 11:03 PM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in a motorsport dealers today and I enquired about EBC pads . The dealer had a very bad opinion of them and says they are no better than a standard road pad . I wanted to correct him but let him rant on anyway . But the next thing he said was interesting . He knows somebody who works for mintex and they sell large batches of pads direct to EBC who spray them fancy colours and sell them as their own ! Has anybody else heard of this ? I don't mind as EBC are generally cheaper than the equivalent mintex pad .

Derek
Old 07 June 2001, 06:44 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I upgraded my brakes I got EBC pads with my Brembo calipers. I queried the fact that they were extremely 'dusty' considering EBC state that dust generation is greatly reduced. The guy I bought them from did say that they were not the same compound as other EBC Greens! I wouldn't be surprised if they buy in other makes so they can list applications that they haven't developed. Bit naughty!
Old 07 June 2001, 11:35 AM
Yeti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the only brake pad manufactutrer that I know off that makes pads for others is Pagid, although Mintex may do this too. Pagid pads get boxed as Porshe, Mercedes, and even some AP pads are made by Pagid. There are a few other companies that use Pagid pads, sprayed different colours but I cant remember of the top of my head who they are.

I have found that EBC s claim of low dust is not always true, seen quite a few scoobys and cossies with the blackest wheels I have ever seen after fitting EBC greenstuff. And some with no dust at all. It would seem that there are several differnt versions of Greenstuff.

I'll leave you to figure out what sort of quality control they must have.