Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rubbing sound over 15 - 20 mph

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2001, 02:57 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the weather got nicer and I drive with the windows down(Magnex bb ) I have noticed a rubbing sound coming from the front(ish?).

Suggestions are warped discs or possibly wheel bearings...I have a MY95 with 96k miles, EBC green pads and EBC turbo groove discs. I have (occasionally) given the brakes a good work out...

Cornering very hard round roundabouts, 40 - 50 mph there is a light whoosh sound which I have put down to tyre noise (SO2s). If it is the discs, is there any harm - under braking it stops in a true line with no wobble from the front at all.

Any ideas - how can I check bearings etc?

Cheers
Old 24 May 2001, 03:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Might be the pads not releasing properly - brake dust/crud trapped between the pad (backing) edges and the caliper.

Could be the rubber gaiter on the piston has perished, brake dust got onto the piston so it does not return fully.

Stone caught beetween the pad/disk or blackplate/disk.

could be a wheel bearing - check in the main forum and look for a MY99 Wheel bearing replacement thread - John Felstead (i think) posted a way of cheking this

IMHO - Disk warp usually show up under heavy braking - disks heat up and the warping is more pronounced..

I have EBC Greens and Turbo Groves on my car - i get a whirring noise when i brake - down to the groove/pad contact i believe.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 24 May 2001).]
Old 24 May 2001, 03:33 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul - I might whip the wheels off at some point and have a look / good clean. Had the MOT and service done only 2k miles ago and I'm sure they would check the bearings as part of test.

The EBC combo is quite good - I like the "drilling" sound under harder braking and they are alot stronger than the standard setup.

Paul
Old 24 May 2001, 03:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You're welcome sir

Yep - i like the EBC set-up the brakes feel much stronger with increased bite and no fade (yet)

Agreed, the std disk are pants!

I had my first set warp at 17K miles (replaced under warranty)and the second set worn out at 34K - i decided to buy the EBC' s rather than keep getting the OEM one's. So far my car is only used on the road and i do not consider that i had punished the brakes

Hope you get is sorted

All the best

Paul
Old 24 May 2001, 05:10 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

What size wheels/tyres do you have? It could be the rears rubbing on the plastic protection strip above the rear arches.

If it is, you'll probably notice that the tyre sidewalls have some of the writing worn away a little....