Caliper restoration

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2001, 12:00 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Yep, exactly the same problem and for the same reason

You can buy "caliper paint" for about £20, allegedly in Les Smiths and Halfords, but I don't know if it really works
Old 16 May 2001, 11:31 AM
Podge
Scooby Newbie

Question

Advice appreciated......

Unfortunately, most of the smokey black colour on my front calipers (std Subaru 4 pots) has disappeared after using alloy wheel cleaner on them. The wheels came out perfect, but the calipers now have a patchy grey silver look.

I would like to restore them, but I'm reluctant to try paint them and then see.

I also don't want to end up with a new look on the front calipers and a worn look on the rears either (std single pot).
Old 16 May 2001, 01:30 PM
EwanS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Right Chaps,
I've done this on a few occasions in the past and there are of course a few ways to skin a cat.
1. Any high temp paint is fine bearing in mind that as Scoob drivers our calipers are generally twice the temp. of any other drivers !! - You will require a suitable high temp. laquer to complement your fine paint work and of course to stop wheel cleaner from removing the paint through time which happens with the original paint (which isn't laquered)
2. Hammerite's Smoothrite is excellent for the above and is generally cheaper, however you are limited to colour range.
3. Please remember to mask any areas on the discs that may come into contact with your spray/brush or you will find out the hard way that the burning smell lasts for days!!!!!
Any other worries about this process feel free to contact me.
EwanS
Ps Remember --preparation is always the key to a fine job and stops people from slagging a rotten one...
Old 16 May 2001, 02:51 PM
Podge
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info. Ewan

Just to confirm a few things with you:

1. Does Hammerite Smoothrite come in a spray can? Is this the best method of application or does a brush give a better finish?

2. Can you suggest a readily available lacquer? How soon after painting can this go on? After that how long should I wait before driving the car?

3. I completely agree with your comments on preparation, so it might help to explain it in case I leave something out. I definitely don't want my brakes to look like a DIY job gone wrong.

4. Have you done the rear calipers also in the past? Any advice in this respect.

5. Did any particular colour combinations your tried in the past look best?

Thanks again.
Old 22 May 2001, 12:05 AM
EwanS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Podge,
Sorry for the delay mate, couldn't find the thread to see if you were cool with the info or not. You seem to want to go the Smoothrite trail so here you are....
In answer to your last Q's -
1. As far as I know yes but can get a bit messy - better with the tin and a good stiff brush..Baby !!

2. Hammerite and Smoothrite don't require laquer, but through experience a little heat, after the initial curing time has passed (generated by some gentle braking) will bake the paint as hard as a ****** heart!

3. If it was Me I'd have the babies off the car and have them in bits !!!! but that gives you a strip down, bleed etc etc.
You should really strip them bare of all spring clips, pads and any other parts you would rather not paint. BRAKE CLEANER is a must + Wire brush, remove all loose material etc. the cleaner the better, no dust or crap prior to paint application, wash down with meths prior to the actual painting to ensure cleanliness. If using hammerite/smoothrite you don't need to prime the job-just paint. Ensure the paint is cool, well mixed prior to app. Ensure areas to paint are cool. This is a must, H/rite-S/rite skin very easily and heat promotes this. load your brush well without flooding do not labour over one area as you will get brush marks due to the paint flashing (the extra air flow and increased surface area caused by your pissing about will cause the solvent to release and the paint essentially dries too quick...)
Allow to dry!!!

4.Same story bowever you will get away with just about any paint due to the reduced heat
you might want to keep them the same to avoid looking like a ****!!!!

5.I am a 'Less is more' type of chap and always preferred to go the subtle route, also subtlety ensures you can pass a poor job (but thats not going to be the case is it !!).What I mean is - Bright colors catch eyes and if your technique has been poor then people will see it...
Colour coding always looks quite cool but then you are restricted by the range of H+Smoothrite. The choice really is yours...if you are keen enough and patient enough to do a good job then people respect that no matter what colour!!!!
NB Enamel paints will also do the trick and there are millions of colours...as I said there are more than a few ways to skin a cat...
Hope it all goes well mate...give me a shout and tell me your final route and how you found my rantings...I could go on and on and on....
EwanS
Old 24 May 2001, 09:15 AM
Podge
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

Thanks Ewan.

I came up with a easier way of painting the calipers - let somebody else do it. To explain....

I spoke to a paint shop about colour coding the side and rear skirts, mirrors and door handles the other day. I asked them about painting the calipers and they offered to do it as part of the job at no extra cost. The will prime them, paint them and lacquer them in the same colour as the car, 555 blue. It will cost me £150 overall, which I think is a fairly keen price.

The only thing I'm not sure about is: Will the paint job take the heat?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 24 May 2001, 09:56 AM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Smile

podge if you do end up getting the calipers colour coded, see if you can take a picture and e mail me one or post it on here,sounds interesting this
Old 24 May 2001, 04:59 PM
EwanS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Podge,
I admit that's a blinding prices for the lot.
WRT the Heat problem, again it's down to the materials used for the job - check with the guys doing the work - I'd like to see the finished job m8.
EwanS