Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

REPORT - Just fitted 18" Raceline RL7's.

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2001, 04:01 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi Guys,

Just thought i'd jot down a few first impressions of my new wheel/tyre combo while i can still remember what the old set up was like.

Car :- STI V TypeR V-Limited (MY99)

New Wheels :- Raceline RL7 8x18" (Scooby Gold)

New Tyres :- Toyo Proxes T1-S 215/35/18.

First off, I would just like to say a big thank you to Craig "New Age Motorsport" for sorting out such a good deal on the wheels. We got there in the end mate!!

It always amazes me how a set of wheels can alter the whole look of a car, these are certainly NO exception. They look absolutely stunning IMHO!!!! If i was being ultra picky i would say that a 10-15mm drop in ride height would improve the looks still further but that may cause suspension travel problems. From the research i did on 18's, people were divided with regard to whether they would cause rubbing problems on the rear arch. Well, mine don't!!!!!
I believe the RL7's are a 49 offset which is near enough to the standard. Also, with the tyre size being 215 wide instead of the more common 18" size of 225 this must help. Just got back from a spirited drive to scrub them in and could not induce rubbing no matter how hard i tried.

The grip of the Toyo's is phenomenal, ok i guess moving up from OEM tyres, the difference is chalk and cheese but i used to run 17" Toyos on my old MY97 and can't ever remember them being this grippy and sure footed. Turn in has also improved.

I was half expecting the ride to be compromised as my STI suspension is hard to start off with but am pleased to say it has made next to no noticeable difference.

Only downside with the Racelines is their weight. Have not had one on the scales but being a Motorsport wheel they are a fair bit heavier than the OEM 16's. Unsprung weight is obviously therefore affected.

Hopefully during next weekends Wales excursion someone will catch my ride on camera and post a piccie for me in the gallery so you can all have a butchers.

18's are the way to go guys & girls!!!

Cheers
Chris

[This message has been edited by Akira (edited 05 May 2001).]
Old 05 May 2001, 04:48 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Yup, weight is a problem with my 18's.
Am using Bilsteins and Eibach springs and although better, the handling still needs to be improved.
Anyone got spring rate recommendations for these size wheels?

A
Old 09 May 2001, 06:40 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

I'll be at the wales trip next week with my camera, but i dont think i'll be the only one photographing them

Cant wait to see them, they sound excellent.

Phil.
Old 10 May 2001, 08:50 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ive heard about the wheels you bought Chris, now I look forward to seeing them mate!

Old 15 May 2001, 10:41 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

I'm waiting for my 18' Speedline GT1's to turn up - should be the end of the month. I'm getting quite excited now, hearing of your good experiences. I wasn't sure at first about the size, but thought "what the hell - it's only money!!!!" Afterall, the last thing I wanted to do was spend £1000 on 17'ers only to decide several months later that I wanted the larger size.

Off to dream of my new wheels now.

Simon