Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Prodrive/Alcon upgrade: first track day

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2001, 06:35 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, I did my first track day with the new brakes yesterday: Donington on the GP circuit - about as big as test as I think they'll get!

To say I am happy would be an understatement I stayed out for the entire session length each time (30 mins) with NO FADE of any sort.

Amazing braking ability and I really could be progressive on/off the brakes.

Had a wonderful time, all the better because I didn't have to wonder how my brakes were doing (the same cannot be said for my poor S02's which are now a bit worse for wear).

I know its been said before, but if you are serious about going on track then upgrade the brakes - it makes it so much more fun as you can be far more comitted and don't have to worry about whether you have any brakes as you're approaching the old hairpin at 110mph!!!
Old 13 May 2001, 08:01 PM
pauljepson
Scooby Newbie

Talking

I fitted the AP kit last weekend and spent today at the Nurburgring.
The braking performance is impressive but the best part is definitely being able to push the car hard without worrying too much about the condition of the brakes.

I did 5 laps back to back, apart from a quick check after the first, without any fade.

I think the brakes are definitely this cars weak link for track running and now that’s fixed the tyres seem to be struggling to keep it together.
Unfortunately I didn't take a pressure gauge but I now lose grip very quickly and the SO2's are very scrubbed.

I considered the other cheaper upgrade alternatives but felt that I would probably end up buying this kit eventually anyway when I reached the limits of the fast road kits.

I can't recommend this upgrade highly enough!
Old 13 May 2001, 10:31 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pauljepson:
<B>I think the brakes are definitely this cars weak link for track running and now that’s fixed the tyres seem to be struggling to keep it together.
Unfortunately I didn't take a pressure gauge but I now lose grip very quickly and the SO2's are very scrubbed.
[/quote]

Hmmm, scrubbed isn't really the word I'd use for the state of my SO2s.

Trashed is more like it