Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Goodridge Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2001, 08:44 PM
AndyC616
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Has anyone experienced any difficulty in fitting the the above braided steel hoses?
I tried fitting them to my 98 (whilst fitting four pot calipers) and found that the middle securing bracket would not push through the mounting bracket on the chassis. It wouldn't be much of a job to make the hole in the chassis bracket larger, but I shouldn't have to do this, as the hoses are supposed to be a direct replacement!
Anyone out there shed any light?
Old 09 May 2001, 12:46 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Hey Andy

I had this prob on my scoob, MY00. All I did was grind down the that block on the hose that won't push through the bracket on the strut.

I had to remove over a 1mm, but I only found this prob on the rears though.

M
Old 10 May 2001, 12:55 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy

I had exactly the same problems when I tried to fit Goodridge hoses to my MY98.When you say chassis bracket do you mean the bracket on the suspension strut just behind the brake disc as this was where I had problems.

I ended up filing 1mm from each side of the strut bracket so the end of the hose fitted through and the block fitted correctly.

If I'd had more time I would have filed the block on the hose instead like MRK and used a hacksaw to cut a gap in the bracket so the hose can be fitted and removed without having to disconnect the line.

The block was also too big on the rears but the spring clip would have been loose if I'd filed the block or the strut so I didn't modify anything and the block now sits slightly proud of the bracket but is held firmly.

It beats me why they don't fit properly.I got my front hoses from a different place to the rears and both had the same incorrectly sized fittings.

HTH

Andy
Old 10 May 2001, 01:41 PM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Same experience on my 95WRX, but only on the offside rear. It did seem to matter which side the hoses were fitted for both front and rear. Like MRK I filed down the block on the hose to fit.

Given that this appears to be a common problem to a greater or lesser degree, you would think they could get it right in manufacture!

Dave
Old 10 May 2001, 08:05 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

Same problem last year when fitted to my MY99. Ended up filling the strut bracket.
Fronts and the rear nearside did not take much but the offside rear needed a fair bit of filling.
Jon

[This message has been edited by schuey (edited 12 May 2001).]
Old 11 May 2001, 08:32 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just fitted mine no problems!!!
You do realise that the front and rear hoses are different lengths (longest on the rear) Are the blocks different sizes?(Front to rear).
Did you pass the caliper end through the bracket first?

Iain.
Flame suit and fire extinguisher at the ready!!
Old 12 May 2001, 10:10 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I'm curious as we have fitted 100's of sets and have never had a problem.

You feed the caliper end through the damper bracket and up to the caliper. The car end goes through the bracket on the body and connects to the steel line. No cutting or filing is needed.

It is important to clean up the locating brackets before fitting your lines.

[This message has been edited by Pete Croney (edited 12 May 2001).]
Old 12 May 2001, 07:55 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks Pete, Thats what I was getting at, just being facetious!!

Iain.
Old 12 May 2001, 11:52 PM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete

When fitting mine we checked all the hoses, fitting procedure, and cleaned brackets before starting. I had no problems with three of them but the offside rear was a real bitch. It may well be that the damper bracket was slightly out and not the hose, but the end result is better brakes whatever!

Dave
Old 14 May 2001, 01:11 AM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete

On my car the caliper end of the hose would not fit through the damper bracket,it was about 2mm to big.There wasn't a problem with the bracket on the body.

The front hoses came with an AP brake kit and the instructions said that filing of the damper bracket was necessary so that firstly the line would fit through the damper bracket and secondly the block would fit.

I bought the rear hoses from a different place and the hose fitted through ok but the block was still too big.

It seems strange that I should have problems with both ends of the car.
I also have a set of standard rubber lines from a my00 and the fittings are exactly the same as my my98.

Andy
Old 14 May 2001, 10:14 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Andy

We have spoken to AP about the size of the "banjo" that they use, it is too big.

The easiest way to fit the AP lines is to cut a slot in the damper bracket, at the top rear edge of the hole. Bend the edge of the bracket away, fit the line block and bend it back.
Old 14 May 2001, 02:50 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Hey Pete

As I said in my earlier post I had to grind more than a 1mm off the rear blocks. All parts were thoroughly cleaned before fitting.

I would have contacted you at the time of fitting (as I bought them from Scoobysport) but I was running out of time due to an impending Donington Track Day.

No worries though, but I was surprised that they didn’t fit easily.

The only worry I have now is that the ends of the hose, where the hose goes into the banjo’s that connects to the calliper is starting to rust, on all four corners??

Now that shouldn’t happen right??

Anyways it obvious theres a problem with the fitting.

M

Ps- Man they make a huge difference to the brakes