Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What causes tyres to wear more on the inside edge?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2004, 07:44 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes tyres to wear more on the inside edge?

As title suggests,I have noticed my tyres are beginning to wear on the inside edges on the front of the car.I had it tested with laser alignment a while ago and that was o.k(when tyres were fitted 9,000mls ago)but is this caused by incorrect toe-in settings etc.
Being a total novice on this sort of thing could someone please suggest what the best fix is.
Cheers
Dean
Old 18 April 2004, 08:15 PM
Eddoe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If your car is a classic then it does the same thing on my MY99, i was told when i asked that this is normal due to the setup of the suspension etc.
Is a bit of a pain though as the rest of the tyres still have tread left but still need to be replaced!!
Old 18 April 2004, 08:44 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Hi Eddoe,
My car is an '02.I had heard it was a characteristic of a Subaru for the tyre wear but having had a '94 wrx for 3.5 years I find that fact difficult to except, and if there is something that can fix it for a bit of money,then I'm up for it,because as you have pointed out it gets a bit wearing when 3/4 of the tyres have aprox 5mm left.
Cheers
Dean
Old 18 April 2004, 10:20 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dean,
Do a trackday mate, that'll knock the oputside edges for ya!!

How's tricks??

How's about 'up your way' in June??
Old 18 April 2004, 11:24 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Bumpsteer causes uneven wear on the inside edges. It was very obvious on older classics and there is even a mod available for the steering rack to remove the bumpsteer.

On bugeyes (mine is an MY02), Subaru made it a lot better, but it's still there. My first set of tyres wore on the insides before their time. I had the suspension geometry set to Prodrive settings and not only does the car handle more neutral (bumpsteer induces oversteer), but this set of replacement tyres has worn more evenly.
Old 18 April 2004, 11:52 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Increased toe-in will cause it for starters, but it's more noticeable if your main use is motorway driving or even driving where you're not cornering hard.

If you drive the car hard through corners, then it'll wear more on the outside edges. I get a bit of both

Stefan
Old 19 April 2004, 10:29 AM
David B
Scooby Regular

I'm sure someone could comment on Deans cornering?
Old 19 April 2004, 10:43 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the input and some useful advice(and some not quite as useful).
Ron.
I will get my thinking cap on and see if I can find another pub but the Swan has probably the best car park around,oh and I'm not to good with those map things
David.
Thanks and no comment,apart from I hope to see you on sunday
Old 20 April 2004, 11:16 AM
toofast toostupid
Scooby Regular

It seems a 4x4 thing, both my scoobys have done it my evo and my integrale ! I swap my fronts with my backs when it starts to become noticable that way you don't have to replace so soon, but the down side is you have to replace the whole set ? As suggested earlier, rag it about everywhere then your outsides will get worn too
Old 20 April 2004, 12:58 PM
Wrx Iom
Scooby Regular

Question Me too

Ive just noticed that only the driver side is practicly slick on the inside for about an inch.

Ive just fitted a set of 18" with new 35mm profiles and i dont want the same to happen. Would having the tracking done be a waste of time?
Old 20 April 2004, 06:56 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

it could be the tracking or a camber/ castor problem
Old 21 April 2004, 12:58 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

i have the same problems ive also heard the prodrive setting causes the inside wear to wear down more the geometry settings were done on my car with cheam motors after i had a acccident so im not sure which settings they used
Old 21 April 2004, 01:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I would imagine any Dealer would set the car back to the factory settings
Old 21 April 2004, 09:35 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

cong

To reassure you, the geometry settings we recommend DO NOT INCREASE TYRE WEAR ON THE INNER EDGES OF THE TYRES. One primary cause that nobody has covered so far is that heavy braking may take the inner edge out more quickly than normal due to suspension bush compliance and geometry changes when the front of the car dives under braking.

Mike
Old 22 April 2004, 08:30 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Interesting debate and it looks like there is no quick and easy fix apart from the usual rotating of the tyres.
Mike,
Have you any other idea's as generally my wife drives the car (80% of the time) and she's not exactly what you would call a Demon on the brakes.And when I drive the car in a spirited manner I normally use the gears/"engine braking" rather than hard braking unless really necessary.
Thanks for the input
Regards
Dean
Old 22 April 2004, 10:08 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Had the same issue on my MY00.......Got some new F1's all round and made a trip to Powerstation for the Bumpsteer and 4 wheel Alignment..... gave me even tyre wear!
Old 23 April 2004, 12:58 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I'm sure Mike is correct, but all the tyre fitters I've ever spoken to about the Prodrive settings have always commented that it would increase tyre wear on the insides.

I've since changed mine to run 0mm toe, so only time will tell if the wear becomes more even across the tyre. I still rotate the tyres every 5K or so, but it just means all 4 suffer.

Stefan
Old 23 April 2004, 03:11 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I had the Prodrive settings done at the dealer who told me that the Prodrive settings would *increase* wear on the inside edges worse than before. The general opinion on the board here, was that it would not. So I kept quiet.

1 year later and 15k miles and there is less wear on the inside edges than in the first 15k miles (without the Prodrive settings). The results speak for themselves in my case.

Obviously my factors have remained constant, which is why I can say this was the fix and you may be effected by other things (braking, cornering etc).
Old 23 April 2004, 10:58 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Recently had my 00MY UK Turbo's geometry done at ABP in CHeshire - had their 'fast road' setup done.

Inner edge of the front nearside tyre was wearing way faster than the rest. Dealer said is was a common complaint and to be expected on a 4WD car. ABP said the geometry was WAY off. Was reassured that the new settings would even out the tyre wear.

Car handles MUCH better now. I've just ordered a new set of F1s, so time will tell if the tyre wear prob has been sorted.

Kev
Old 26 April 2004, 11:20 PM
Chaddy
Scooby Regular

How very strange, my 2000MY wears its tyres evenly, apart from the outside edges, no sign of inner edge wear on front or back, inner edge wear is normally due to too much toe out surely, or too much negative camber ?
Old 29 April 2004, 07:56 PM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

Wink

not an ideal solution but why dont you just swap the tyres round once in a while to create more even tyre wear.

Andy
Old 30 April 2004, 02:07 PM
Ricky81 STi
Scooby Regular

I have my Alignment set to 0mm and it has never wore tyres uneven.
Old 28 November 2004, 08:48 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Thought I would bring this back into life as I have now scrubbed the inside edge out on the new one's again.
3 months ago everything was o.k and the tyre's were wearing evenly,but when I had the tracking checked today everything was out again and the tyres are once again knackered.
I believe the figures read something like this:
Steering set @ 4 (offside) and read +2
Steering set @ 1 (nearside) and read -2
I hope this makes some sense to someone and are there any ideas as to overcome this problem?
Kind Regards
Dean
Old 28 November 2004, 08:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Hi Dean, could be something worn somewhere, but realistically things shouldn't 'go off' like that, maybe yer misses hits the odd curb or two!!
Anyways, how are ya? Are you coming to our next meet, it's at the old beams at ibsley, we're eating to!! Check southern!!
Old 28 November 2004, 09:51 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Hi Ron,
According to the guy that checked the car,he did suggest that potholes would be enough to throw it out.However what I am concerned about is that it has happened on this car twice but on the last one everything wore evenly.
I might be bigger than the wife but I wouldn't dare suggest she has been curb-crawling
I cannot commit to the next meet,I will turn up if I can but obviously wouldn't expect food(Damn shame really as it's a good pub for food!)
Cheers
Dean
Old 28 November 2004, 10:15 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Fair enough!
Old 30 November 2004, 08:43 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

No more idea's from anyone?
Dean
Old 01 December 2004, 12:58 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I beleive Jen from Hants scoobs had a really bad problem with this, the thread is obviously somewhere...dont know if the answer was on it tho.
Old 01 December 2004, 08:45 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Thanks FT,
I will have a Trawl through the archives and see what I can find.
Regards
Dean
Old 06 December 2004, 08:52 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dean harris
Interesting debate and it looks like there is no quick and easy fix apart from the usual rotating of the tyres.
Mike,
Have you any other idea's as generally my wife drives the car (80% of the time) and she's not exactly what you would call a Demon on the brakes.And when I drive the car in a spirited manner I normally use the gears/"engine braking" rather than hard braking unless really necessary.
Thanks for the input
Regards
Dean
what no one has mentioned yet is 'toe-out on turns',basically this is when you put the car in lock,one wheel toe's out more than the other due to one side having to negotiate a wider arc than the other,as most women i see driving cars out of a parking spaces think they are closer to the car in front than they really are and they put it in full lock all the time to get out the space,so in affect the more sharp turning you do the more inside wear you will get which is a common feature of power-steering cars,if its mostly shopping driving your wife does i would blame it on her driving style.

Quick Reply: What causes tyres to wear more on the inside edge?