Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

STI 2 Pot rear brake upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2001, 12:09 AM
JonH
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

I'm interested in upgrading to the STI 2 Pot rears on my STI Ver IV (4 door) which currently has the standard rear brakes. Has anyone done this upgrade? I understand that Scoobymania sells a complete kit but it does not say what is included on their website. I'm buying a set of used rear STI 2 pot calipers from somebody who previously had a bracket made to fit his Legacy RS and although the bracket fits on my car, the caliper is slightly hitting on the hub of the rotor. It seems that i'll have to get a new bracket made but i also need to know if I should be using a different disc specific to the 2 pot rears?

Thanks in advance,

jon
Old 02 May 2001, 01:08 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Jon I did this on my RA.

You need to change the hubs, discs, calipers and rear driveshafts.

You cannot cut away the lip on the one pot hubs, to fit the larger 2 pot disc on, as this is a structural part of the hub assembly. The hubs for this disc use a bigger handbrake (much more effective ).

These hubs can only be used with the beefier Type R and RA driveshafts but the prices should start coming down as these driveshafts and brake set ups are now fitted to the new WRX.
Old 02 May 2001, 05:51 PM
JonH
Scooby Newbie

Pete,

Thanks for the info - much appreciated. As I gather from what you've said above, the Subaru discs for the 2 pot setup are DIFFERENT from the ones I currently have on my car, right? Does that mean even if a bracket was to be custom made to mount the caliper, (at the same time retaining my current disc) the setup would not work properly?

Actually, in your case, did you need to make a bracket to mount the caliper? It doesn't seem like the mounting holes on the STI 2 pot caliper have the same bolt locations as the original 1 pots.. What needs to be changed?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.

jon

[This message has been edited by JonH (edited 02 May 2001).]
Old 02 May 2001, 06:17 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Jon

I just transplanted the whole lot off an MY99 RA

If you put the 2 pot caliper on the old disc, I doubt it would have enough friction surface for the pad and the pad would overhang the disc. I can't think of a simple bracket set up that would let you do this anyway.
Old 04 May 2001, 09:26 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jon,

Have a word with Phil at Barretts Motorsport 01227 864537 as they have found a way around fitting the Subaru rear 2 pot kit which includes a re-worked type R disc with an insert or something machined/fitted into it so that it works with std hubs/cars as well as a bracket I think. As you already have the calipers it'll bring the cost down.

HTH
Nito