Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

4 or 6 Pot AP's?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 12:45 AM
Mark Brown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have 17" OZ super T's, will the 6 Pot AP's fit without wheel spacers?

Somebody once told me that the 6 pots took ages to get warmed up. Also that the master cylinder is not the correct size for the upgrade and so the pedal goes to the floor before biting. So is it worth going for 6 pots or just go for the 4 pots.

Any help or comments would be appreciated!

Old 10 April 2001, 01:49 PM
JohnS

The 6 pots should fit underneath the OZ wheels without any need for spacers.

Unless you want to do serious track use, the 4 pots will be fine, as you won't even get these to fade on the track before your tyres go off. You'll never get either to fade on the road without being silly.

Haven't heard of the pedal going to the floor before biting from any 6 pot owners, though apparently they do feel a little bit softer than others, though performance is never in question.

There are more pad choices (at lower cost) for the 4 pots, so unless you really want the ultimate in braking set-ups, and don't mind paying the extra for it, I would go for the 4 pot set-up. Both will look equally impressive behind the spokes of your wheels.
Old 10 April 2001, 02:03 PM
Mark Brown
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. It is just for fast road and occasional track use. I am fed up with being out-braked on back roads with my mate in a BMW320. My original 2-pots with Tar-Ox crossed drilled and vented discs are just not up to the job. I do not feel confident driving with them.

Maybe paying the extra £200 to go for 6 pots might be a waste and the 4 pots be more than adequate for my driving ability.

[This message has been edited by Mark Brown (edited 10 April 2001).]
Old 10 April 2001, 03:07 PM
mshalvey
Scooby Newbie

Hi Mark
I have the six pot AP kit fitted to my STi which is running on Oz Super T's. They fitted without the need for wheel spacers. I am using pagid blue pads which do not need much in the way of warming up and I would recommend them.
The kit which I got from Scoobymania is designed to work with the original master cylinder which it does extremely well! Brake fade is non-existent and the pedal feel is quite firm.
You're considering saving £200 by going for the 4 pot kit.... I'd say for the extra £200 you would be buying the best brakes on the planet!
Go on you know you want to
Cheers,
Mark.
Old 10 April 2001, 04:19 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Mark, I run the AP 6 pots, and dont have any problems with brake pedal feel. I bites well from cold, and can lock the ABS up a treat! :0

Dan
Old 10 April 2001, 05:22 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Have just bought the six pots.

For the price difference, I couldn't justify not getting the "top" of the range although arguably there is nothing in it.

Pad size I think is bigger, meaning there is a greater area of friction, and less pressure is required to achieve the same frictional force. Someone correct me if I have forgooten to consider something.

You already know about pad choice and pricing.

As for feel, there is definitely loads of bite well before hitting the bottom. I have also heard people saying that APs feel either on or off, but have to say, I have not found this to be the case either, although having never tried the Alcons, and only briefly the Brembos, I can't really compare.
Old 10 April 2001, 05:30 PM
Mark Brown
Scooby Regular

What are the differences between the different pad options?
Old 10 April 2001, 09:35 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

The 4 pot 17" kit, has a wider range of pads available for it.

I am routinely pestering AP and other manufacturers to develop new pad options for the 6 pot kit.

Currently running some EBC prototypes as part of 'on-going testing' of our AP 6 pot kit with AP Racing.

Good wear rate at the loss of pure performance. Waiting for new offerings from Ferodo, Hawk, Performance Friction and a few others.

Mark
For fast road use, you may be better off with the 'cheaper' 17" 4 pot kit and cheaper, more widely available pads & pad options.

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 10 April 2001).]