Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

AP brake kit £1280inc vat??????

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2001, 11:11 PM
PLUTO
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if I can get one of those Ap kits for £1280 or have I missed out?I did recall seeing a post that it was only for a short length of time.And can someone give me some idea of who was offering it at this price and what I got for my money
Old 21 February 2001, 07:30 AM
JohnS

I think you are referring to the kit that Harj got for the 22B recently from GGR. However, you can get a very similar (if not identical) kit for much less!

AP 4 pot calipers (CP5200 I think)
335mm grooved discs (smaller ones available to fit 16 inch wheels)
anodised alloy bells (silver, gold blue or red available)
custom alloy brackets (same colour choice)
choice of pads (price varies slightly).
steel hoses
Dot 5.1 fluid

Price including VAT, 10% SIDC discount, postage and packing was about £1100 all-in.

[Edited to add in fluid and hoses - thanks for reminding me Harj ]

[This message has been edited by JohnS (edited 21 February 2001).]
Old 21 February 2001, 07:43 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

I can still get the AP kit at discounted prices if anyone wants one, price is £1300 including everything and VAT.

This included:
Discs
Gold Bells
Gold Brackets
Calipers
Pads
Hoses
Fluids
etc etc

If anyone does want one let me know as the lads at GGR are doing me a discount on anyone I reccomend to them.

Cheers Wayne @ GGR

Harj...
Old 21 February 2001, 09:43 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Without wanting to start another 'brake war' just bear in mind that these kits are not complete AP Racing kits.

They use some AP parts, Caliper, sometimes discs but have other parts made up themselves. This may or may not be detrimental to the kit if problems are experienced?

A 'proper' AP Racing kit is not much more money!

Like I say, not posted to start a war, just to clarify for those who may not know that these aren't true AP kits.
Old 21 February 2001, 10:17 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mike same here by not wanting to start a Brake War Im not a supplier so ive nothing to gain from this but help the community from being charged over the odds!

The GGR Set-up has Gold Anodised Bells and Brackets which there are absolutely no difference to the AP ones, from what I understand they are the same ones but coloured!

Other than that the Set-up that some companies sell are no different as I myself and many others who have bought these kits cannot see the difference but the GGR ones are more vuisually pleasing that plain boring black bells.

GGR AP Kit anyday of the week I say and Im sure that other dealers who sell their own set-up could only try to come close to the quality of the GGR one.

Harj...
Old 21 February 2001, 02:32 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Harj,

I almost bought a GGR kit but the caliper brackets are lightweight aluminium as opposed to steel used on the AP kits. When I spoke to Pete Collen at AP he said that it is specifically in their design brief to use aluminium for the brackets unless for strength something meatier was required. The AP official kit doesn't have brackets made from aluminium. Draw what conclusions you will from that, these are just the facts. On the other hand ggr don't seem to have had any problems with their kits and of course they are lighter in weight than the AP kits not to mention cheaper, while the kit also has better discs than the official AP kit which had drilled crap, horses for courses!

Me, I like the dark grey bells and the flag monogrammed calipers which is why I bought the official AP kit from GGR, but now I have to buy two new discs

edited sp!

[This message has been edited by NITO (edited 21 February 2001).]
Old 21 February 2001, 04:13 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

I bought mine from HI-SPEC ENGINEERING in Dartford for £1280 fitted

335*32mm discs(not AP but machined EBC)
Gold bells
AP4 pot calipers(5200 i think)
aluminum brackets
braided hoses

The discs are 32mm thick instead of the usual 28mm, i don't know if this makes much difference but bigger is better

I have no complaints apart from from the EBC pads which were put in originally. I now have PADGID BLUES and these are superb.

Scott

Trending Topics

Old 21 February 2001, 04:29 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Nito.
You say you thought about buying a kit from GGR, and then that you bought an official AP kit from GGR with grey bells?
Also, the official AP kit comes with either drilled or grooved discs.

Stef.
Old 21 February 2001, 06:11 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Godspeed Brakes sell 4 pot Brembo kits (325mm disks) for £1000; AP 4 pots for £1075 and AP 6 pots for £1200. These prices include VAT! Anyone tried their kits?
Old 22 February 2001, 09:21 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stef you logger!!

I thought about GGR's own version of the AP kit, which uses their lighter aluminium brackets/ggr anodised bells and different pattern AP calipers and grooved discs + it was cheaper. I Then decided to buy the official AP kit from GGR as they are also official stockists etc. At the time AP only offered Drilled discs with their official kits which were very unsatisfactory, particularly for track use. This was quite a while back, before you had your kit in fact.

I complained to AP about the discs and was told that in a dealer survey drilled discs were seen as most popular choice which is why they came with them. They also said that their kits were never intended for use on trackdays but were a road kit which seemed pretty stupid especially after spending that sort of money for a Big Brake Kit! Anyway, it seems that they have quite rightly changed policy now from what you say to offer the kit with grooved discs. Personally I'm going to be going for those swirly groove ones next time but they are not cheap!!

Nito
Old 22 February 2001, 04:53 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mate!
I will be trying another make of disc next, just for comparitive purposes. I'm currently going through a set of discs after every three or four track days using the PFC pads.
I'm just curious to see whether there are any harder wearing discs around.
Anyone know of any? Wilwood do some apparently.

Stef.
Old 22 February 2001, 06:12 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Stef
My discs have seemed to hold up well.I have only done about 2000miles in them and a trackday at Brands where they got quite abused. the discs have no score marks,no heat cracks and no lipped edges, in fact they look as good as new.

Scott,
(discs are on previous post)