Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Suspension Settings

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2001, 12:26 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I would speak to MRT Rally as they know all about what settings are best. They can do for you (I think) the equivalent of what Powerstation do here (4 wheel alignment with camber and toe changes to boot) plus the Bump Steer Mod which is one of the things causing the wild understeer on the limit (particularly at turn in) that you are talking about.

They also do uprated anti-roll bars (highly recommended and the anti-lift kit (also recomm..)) - all of these will make the handling better. The other thing they recommend is changing the springs.

Give them a call,

Matt.
Old 20 February 2001, 11:02 AM
drabels
Scooby Newbie

Question

Hello Everyone!

I've been lurking on this BBS for some time, always putting off submitting something until I really had something to talk about :-)

Last Saturday, I went for a track session/driver education at Winton Motor Raceway (Victoria, Australia) which was simply awesome - the car performed brilliantly!

However, I noticed there was an incredible amount of tyre noise from the front wheels during cornering - not to mention significant understeer upon entry (which seemed to disappear once mid-corner.)

More importantly, the tyres upon inspection revealed that nearly %90 of the wear was located on the outside edges of the wheel!

I recently had the wheels balanced, which included having the camber set to 0 degrees all round (there was positive camber at the front!!!)

Now, I've been told I need to add some negative camber to the front wheels - I figure somewhere between 1.5 to 2.0 degrees should do the trick.

Does anyone know if castor is adjustable on the scoob?

Has anyone else had some experience with these settings (or similiar) ... can you offer some advice? :-)

I'm relucant to modify the suspension at this point, my insurance does not allow it in any case...

Regards,

Daniel.
Old 20 February 2001, 05:29 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dan,

The castor angle is changed with the Whiteline anti-lift kit, it theoretically adds 1 degree positive dynamic castor.

After fitting the uprated Whiteline swaybar links I noticed a difference in handling even with GAB suspension. When I thought it couldn`t get any better the Whiteline antilift kit was fitted now the car holds the road like a rollercoaster. Chuck it into a corner at speed an it`ll take it no prob.

Most of the parts that Matts talking about r available in the UK from Scoobymania.

Pete
Old 23 February 2001, 04:36 AM
drabels
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys...

I just realised I accidently picked the wrong forum for the topic, sorry about that!

I've talked to a proper tyre and suspension centre, and I'm getting the anti-lift kit, heavy duty rear sway bar and some negative camber on all 4 wheels (emphasis on the fronts...)

I can't wait :-)

Thanks again...

Daniel.