Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

help

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2001, 01:10 AM
pmr147
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
offset on alloy wheels if not within spec on subaru it may cause steering problems why wont adjusting the tracking solve the problem
Old 12 February 2001, 08:13 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Because the tracking stays the same regardless of the offset of the wheels. Tracking is just the relationship between the direction the wheels are pointing in relative to straight ahead. The wheels will still be at the same toe in or out whatever offset is used but what is affected is the steering geometry.

The wrong offset (too much) will put increased leverage on wheel bearings/steering joints, change steering feel and a whole host of other things.
Old 13 February 2001, 08:39 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

PMR
Your email to me yesterday:

"offset if it does not effect camber or castor and the tracking is not going to help something has to be affected for it to cause problems the only things that can adjust the steering is castor camber and tracking"

Well you've obviously been reading up on this, but are you asking me or telling me??

Caster (or king pin inclination), camber and tracking affect STATIC steering. When the car is on the move it is different.

Caster - suspension deflection either side of static settings on some suspension designs - particularly macpherson strut - can alter caster.

Camber is affected by wishbone suspension with unequal length upper and lower arms when suspension is in bump and rebound (it moves away either positive or negative from the static settings).

Steering - the wheels may be parallel tracking (zero toe in or toe out) when the car is stationary but ALL cars have Ackerman angle built in to the steering by way of unequal length steering idler arms. When you turn the steering wheel the inside wheel in the turn has to move less than the outside so the Ackerman angle increases to compensate for this. Increasing offset will affect Ackerman angle slightly because there is more leverage on the wheels.

Tracking - most front or four wheel drive cars toe in static to allow for the fact that when the wheels are under power they are trying to force themselves inwards i.e. into toe in. Toe in is necessary for straight line stability. Increasing the offset puts the wheels further apart, decreases the torque or leverage on tracking and will almost certainly decrease the toe in effect - albeit by a small amount.

Increasing offset sets the wheels wider apart thus increasing leverage on wheel bearings and suspension joints - and thus wear.

Increasing offset will probably make the steering heavier - increased leverage again.

Want to carry on??