Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Anyone got the ScoobySport Pagid brake kit???

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2001, 01:38 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.....any comments on said kit?

Is it worth 200-250 pounds more than std brake/pad combo?

Initial bite / pedal feel / fade resistance??

I`ve just gone from 97MY to 00MY and the brakes are just as bad on the 00MY!!
Old 07 February 2001, 01:45 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

James
I use Pagid blue pads on my Brembo kit from SS. Standard brembro pads dont last 5 mins under hard conditions (ie.track days)If track days are your thing, go for it, but yes I agree, it is expensive (especially when you also carry spares!!!)
Old 08 February 2001, 09:01 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Talking

I now have full MY99 brakes front and back (it's an MY98 car) using Pagid disks, pagid blues front and pagid fast road on the back. I too am interested in whether it's going to work as it was not cheap.

It will be fitted tommorrow and I'll give a report after my first track day (3rd March)

I will be able to compare it with my previous setup which was

MY99 Front disks, pagid blues
MY98 Rear disks, standard pads

(Both cases had Dot 5.1 and braided hoses)

Sorry I can't be more use, but I only notice the effects of brake upgrades on the track, don't think there is any use in giving a report on road use as I found the MY98 stuff to be adequate 99% of the time on road anyway.

JamesS said - I`ve just gone from 97MY to 00MY and the brakes are just as bad on the 00MY!!

Surely you jest !! I had Dot 5.1 and braided hoses as well and the difference was very noticeable !! sure they are fitted correctly ?
Old 08 February 2001, 09:25 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Gary,

The 00MY brakes have the same feel and characteristics to them as the 97MY - that is low initial bite, poor feel through the pedal and the same propensity to fade; they are slightly better than 97MY - but only slightly.

I was really after some comments ref feel of the pagid kit. I doubt they will resist fade much better than standard as it mainly the amount of metal in the disk and how quickly it can get rid of the heat.

My 97MY with DS2000 pads and Gp N disks had much better intial bite than any other pad and resisted fade a bit better, but not much!!!(and where still poor considering the performance!!!!)

So do I go DS2000 & Gp N again or splash an extra 200 for the pagid?????

PS I expect the braided hose to make a bit of difference when modulating under heavy braking.....
Old 08 February 2001, 10:16 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

James

I would say I could give you this information next week (although I'll be running my disks in of course - so no hard breaking). But your experience seems to be so much the opposite of mine !

MY98 - No initial bite, very spongy pedal impossible to apply the correct amount of pressure. Fade within about 3 laps, fade on the roads after 20 mins spirited driving on country roads.

with MY99 fronts and pagid blues and braided hoses

Excellent initial bite, no sponginess at all, it's like pushing your foot against a lump of concrete, fade after about 4-5 laps (but later found out to be the rears going off - doh !), cracked front disk on 4th Session and scored disks all round. One set of standard rear pads gone, pagid blues on front help up v well.

Initial bite + feel etc I found excellent with the pagids on std 4 pots. Really excellent, much better than my Fathers M3 for example and completely different world from the 2 pot MY98's. Fade still a problem of course but IMHO it is the non Vented Rears that were the real problem. Will test with heat paint next time.

I assumed it was the 4 pots that had made the *emphasise - massive* difference in brake feel, but it looks like it's the braided hoses !!
Old 08 February 2001, 10:19 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Extra note - can't emphasise how much better the brakes felt, initial bite - you know when you get in an overservoed car and the first time you brake you smack your head on the steering wheel, that was me after getting the 4 pots fitted ! so definitely no probs with initial bite, took some getting used to.

Gary
Old 08 February 2001, 01:43 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have the previous Scoobysport Group N disc and Pagid blue pads, braided hoses and 5.1 fluid. Well, what a difference, especially on the track. I went from standard pads to just having the Pagid blues with fluid and hoses and they were better than standard. But they faded after about 5-7 laps on the track. Upgraded the disc's to group N, grooved and passivated and no fade at Oulton the other week. It does depend how hard you attack the track but I was breaking quite a lot later and they were fine all day. (in-between stoppages )

The only problem is the noise from cold. I used to suffer from terrible squeaking but a bit of copper ease on the back of all the pads and they are fine now.

Tim
Old 08 February 2001, 01:44 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Gary,

Thanks for the feedback. It may well be that the pads I have now have been toasted by the first owner - they are about half worn and look a little ragged round the edge - a good sign they have been baked at some point!!!!

Huuummmmm still leaves the question open though!!! Full Pagid kit of not!!!Huuummmmm!
Old 08 February 2001, 04:30 PM
JC
Scooby Regular

I had the full kit fitted to a MY98 2 pots.
This was Grooved Grp A discs F&R
Braided Lines and Dot
Padid Bule F&R

Verdict: On the road no difference other than a slightly firmer pedal.

Track: Std brakes faded after 4-5 laps Oulton
Now they last for 7-9 laps.

Pad wear is high ie 1 track day and 5000 road miles.

Value for money?
I wish I had saved up for the Brembo kit...
Old 08 February 2001, 07:34 PM
TKH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fitted the s.s. pagid group 'N' front discs, lines and pads 5 days prior to oulton and have to say on the road i experienced no real difference however on track i could stay out for 8 laps until i got fade whearas on previous std pads i was slowing it down using the gears after 3 laps so yes it is a worthwhile upgrade if you dont fancy chucking £ 1500+ at it but will agree with others that you will experience a bit of squeal around town i.e. pulling up at lights but i personally think thats a small price to pay given the confidence of stopping power corner after corner.

hope this helps

Regards

Tim