Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Recommended Offset for 17" alloys

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2000, 11:02 AM
kwack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Just a quick questions, I currently have 17" MIM wheels fitted to my Impreza. These foul the rear arches.

1) Can someone tell me what the correct offset should be for 17" wheels and are 215/40/17 correct tyre size.

2) If I purchased 17" wheels with correct offset will these clear the arches without upgrading the suspension. I was thinking about Prodrive wheels

Any help would be appreciated

Nigel
Old 29 December 2000, 11:16 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

kwack

a few people having this problem have removed the rear plastic strip running under the arches (all uk models have this, imports do not) and this has cured the problem.

If you speak with Pete @ scoobysport he will tell you the best way to do this.

I am fitting mimms this w/end with 215/17/40 tyres. I know a few people with these and they have not had any problems and as I have eibach springs on the car , hopefully I will be ok.

simon
Old 29 December 2000, 06:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I belive the offset should be between 52 and 55mm

Tony
Old 29 December 2000, 10:13 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Kwak, a standard UK00 Scoob comes with 16x7in wheels at 53mm off-set. ProDrive recommend 52mm off-set as optimum, with a 17x7in wheel.

It is possible to use smaller off-sets without fouling by removing the rear wheel arch trim, but this ignores the fact that the suspension is optimised for a narrower track. If you fit bigger (ie heavier) wheels with a smaller off-set (ie they widen the track) then the actual unsprung weight is significantly increased and effective upsprung weight is substantially increased, possibly beyond that which the suspension can handle efficiently. Don't go for style at the expense of performance.

ProDrive recommend a 205x17/45 tyre, but many say this is because Pirelli don't make a 215x17/40, whereas Bridgestone do, and their SO2-PP in that size is widely regarded as the top rubber.

Finally, if this helps, my car is an MY00 UK with lowered ProDrive suspension. With Radius R3 17x7 wheels with 50mm off-set and Bridgestone SO2-PP tyres as above, nothing touches at all.

Hoppy
Old 07 January 2001, 08:27 PM
Gustavo Martins
Scooby Regular

Hi!

I own a MY98 with Eibach lowered springs and Bilstein struts.

My wheels are the Speedline ST2 17''(that have an offset of 52mm) and the fitted tires are the Bridgstone S02-PP 215/40/17.

I've never had any problems of wheel arch fouling with this set-up.

Last week I installed 15mm wheel spacers (H&R)in the rear wheels, getting an effective offset of 37mm (52mm-15mm). In this situation the wheels fouled the rear arches but that was solved removing the plastic strip running under the rear arches.

Now, I have to say that I do not seem to note the admitely "adverse" effect of having a smaller offset than the reference 52mm!! For the contrary! I can only say that for my style of driving I find the car much more stable in curve, more fun to drive (I can now do trail braking at hier speeds) and the looks are now far more agressive! But I assume that this can be my personal taste and point of view. So, try before making a permanent modification (the spacers were just for trying but ended up there!)

Regards,

Gustavo

[This message has been edited by Gustavo Martins (edited 07 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gustavo Martins (edited 08 January 2001).]
Old 07 January 2001, 08:37 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This is from the SIDC faq:

"One important point to bear in mind when shopping for new wheels is that the recommended offset (the distance between centre of the rim and the mounting face) for Impreza wheels is unusually high, at between 52 and 55mm depending on the model. Using more common, smaller, offsets will increase the track (width) of the car, which may cause the tyres to foul the arches, and will have an adverse effect on handling (by increasing the leverage of uneven roads and cornering forces on the suspension and steering components). One knowledgeable wheel retailer claims that anywhere from 45-55mm is fine (even going so far as to say that 55mm is excessive!), whilst a Subaru dealer insists that 55mm is essential and anything else wrecks the handling. It's probably worth pointing out that the standard wheels are 52.5mm offset, and the Speedline Competition 2, sold by Prodrive through your Subaru dealership, is 48mm!"

Have a look here for more answers: