Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Mintex 1155 squealing is horrendous

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2000, 12:50 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got these installed this morning at Falkland, and they brake really well, but they squeal like nothing else - continually throughout braking whether hard or soft! Falkland said they had bedded them in. I have read some earlier post saying to stop 5 times from 30 and 90-30 5 times, but this is a bit tricky to do with the current ice everywhere. I don't mind a bit of squeal, but this is a bit silly - people turn round to look etc and other drivers look worriedly in their rear view mirror when I brake behind them at lights etc!

Any hints - do they get better? Trying to get hold of Falkland to see what they think also.
Old 27 December 2000, 01:12 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

yes they do squeal a bit, but mostly under light braking and when they are cold. Once they are warm/hot or under hard braking they are virtually silent.

They will be better once they have bedded in properly.

I have used 3 sets of 1155 pads on my car, and got used to the squeal (it was actually amusing the amount of cars which would pull over for you, as they thought you were braking very hard or something!).

One things you could try is to fit anti-squeal pads to the back of the pads. One of my sets were definitely louder than the others, so e-mailed Mintex about it. They sent me a set of anti-squeal pads to stick onto the back of the pads, but the squeal had gone by the time they arrived a few days later, so I never bothered fitting them.

I still have these anti-squeal pads if you want them ?
Old 27 December 2000, 01:26 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had the squealing pads as well on the old car. As John says you do get use to it!!!

That said they were better than the standard pads. The only thing that annoyed me was the amount of dust generated by them!!!
Old 27 December 2000, 01:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for the speedy replies. Kevin at Falkland said to try a few 90-40 firm braking - I did what I could with ice and other traffic (which was 70-40 really and several 40-20) and it did the trick - they are now silent, and feel stronger with every application.

Interesting that at only 3900 miles with no mishaps/kerbings etc that the geometry was **REALLY** far out - all over the place and the whole car was "crabbing" apparently - ie wheels all pointing to the left a bit when car straight ahead - apparently not dangerous but just crap for handling. Am looking forward to all the ice melting to try it properly, but it already feels better on turn in and under braking (but that could also be the pads).
Old 27 December 2000, 09:52 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Question

John

Does Falklands have a proper electronic suspension geometry machine?. I want to get mine checked, and changed to prodrive settings.

Stuart
Old 28 December 2000, 12:38 AM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

I fitted some 1144's mine came with a rubber type plastic stick on pads, mine were blue with Gtech logo's on. These needed trimming to fit, you can clearly see these on MY94 brakes.

Skip.
Old 28 December 2000, 11:43 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I fitted 1155s just before Brands back in October and to be fair they performed superbly on the day with no fade whatsoever (I even got ABS "kick" into Druids late into one session!) so they are a great pad.
I did find though that afterwards they squealed like a pig and screeched even off of braking if crawling in traffic!
On stripping out the pads I found that all of the shim plates had been "carbonised" together, and onto the pad, as a result of the fried grease deposits.
I cleaned up the shims and plates and applied the old favourite copper grease again and all was fine for a while.
They did however begin to squeal again under light braking and this hasn't subsided in about 400 miles of varied driving.
I would love to lose the squeal and the dust for that matter, which seeems to weld itself to the wheels more than the standard pad's dust ever did

Neil.
Old 28 December 2000, 03:28 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

BEDDING IN PROCEDURE MINTEX 1155

CLEAN DISCS WITH BRAKE CLEANER OR OTHER APPROVED SOLVENT
FIT YOUR NEW MINTEX C-TECH RACING PADS

APPLY 2 - 3 LIGHT APPLICATIONS OF THE BRAKES
AT 30 Mph DOWN TO 0 Mph

APPLY 8 - 9 STEADY APPLICATIONS OF THE BRAKES
AT 90 Mph DOWN TO 30 Mph

LEAVE AS LONG AS POSSIBLE TO COOL DOWN
THEY WILL NOW WORK FROM COLD

DO NOT LEFT FOOT BRAKE

Old 28 December 2000, 05:50 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil F:
<B>I fitted 1155s just before Brands back in October and to be fair they performed superbly on the day with no fade whatsoever (I even got ABS "kick" into Druids late into one session!) so they are a great pad.
I did find though that afterwards they squealed like a pig and screeched even off of braking if crawling in traffic!
On stripping out the pads I found that all of the shim plates had been "carbonised" together, and onto the pad, as a result of the fried grease deposits.
I cleaned up the shims and plates and applied the old favourite copper grease again and all was fine for a while.
They did however begin to squeal again under light braking and this hasn't subsided in about 400 miles of varied driving.
I would love to lose the squeal and the dust for that matter, which seeems to weld itself to the wheels more than the standard pad's dust ever did

Neil.[/quote]

Sounds like your pads have glazed. It will take a 1000 miles or so to 'de-glaze' or they can be done manually by removing pads?? but I wouldn't know how????

I have gone through three sets of 1155s, and bedded them in as per Mike's instructions, and they have been fine, no squealing to speak of, and great performance, especially when warm
Old 28 December 2000, 05:56 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If they have glazed, its highly unlikely they will clear themselves, Take them out, clean the pad faces with some emery paper and refit/bed in as per above procedure.

Mike.
Old 28 December 2000, 09:00 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Stuart - yes Falkland's machine is a Laser Supertracker. They can set to Prodrive settings if you take along details of what you want otherwise they do their own variation which they say they have had more favourable results with - I left it to them and I now have 0.75 deg negative camber on fronts and 1mm toe on all wheels. I think Prodrive settings are MAXIMUM EQUAL negative camber on front with 1mm all round toe in - usually about 1 degree is achieved. 0.75 is thought to be a bit better for tyre wear - and I have about 3/4 of my drive on dual c/motorways so it is prob. suitable - anything better than factory though!
Old 28 December 2000, 09:05 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Question

Mike T

During the proceedure for bedding in, do you need to let the brakes cool right down again between every application??, or just do all of the braking one after another to build up heat??

I did a similar thing with mine but I also fitted new disks so I left it about 600 miles first. They never squeal under breaking, but do sometimes squeal like hell when driving slowly, any suggestions??, like try the proceedure agian, cleanimg them up etc.

John B

Cheers, I will give them a shout after new year, I noticed tonight in the snow that the rear end always wanted to go to the left, could just be a power distribution thing though.

Stuart

[This message has been edited by sasim (edited 28 December 2000).]
Old 30 December 2000, 03:39 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Mike/Gary.

Thanks for the tips. I did actually use emery cloth on the faces when I cleaned them up after Brands as they did look glazed but I never did anything like the bedding in suggestions you mention. Sounds like this is the way to go.

Guess I'll have to get out and strip the pads out again to clean the disks, although I think I'll wait until it warms up a bit!!

Neil.
Old 04 January 2001, 02:07 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Mike T or Anyone Else,

Have you had experience using 1155s with standard (MY00) disks? Any problems?

I am trying to decide if I should get 1155s, 1144s or just std Subaru pads.

Thanks for the advice,

Subarussian (enthusiastic driving / no track days)
Old 04 January 2001, 08:49 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Subarussian:
<B>Mike T or Anyone Else,

Have you had experience using 1155s with standard (MY00) disks? Any problems?

I am trying to decide if I should get 1155s, 1144s or just std Subaru pads.

Thanks for the advice,

Subarussian (enthusiastic driving / no track days)[/quote]

1155s were a good improvement, but did crack my std discs (MY99), but uprated discs were only £113 and transformed the braking power and eliminated fade, so I didn't complain!

Old 04 January 2001, 10:25 AM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

John....I've used 1144/1155 on the Scooby and now 1144/1155 and 1166 on an EVO.

To be perfectly honest I've followed to the letter instructions for bedding these pads in many a time and never successfully been able to get rid of brake squeal whilst the car is being used on the road, with the exception of the 1144s. If you don't want brake squeal stick with the standard pads for road use, and if you must swap for something else just for the track.

After all the 1155 and 1166 pads are competition pads, and noise really isn't an issue on a rally stage.

Don't be taken in by people who say that you haven't bedded them in properly. Its the pad material and there's nothing you can do about it. Mike Tuckwoods suggestion is the correct procedure, but it won't stop long term brake squeal if you are using the car on the road.

The level of squeal does seem to reduce the better the quality/type of the disc material too.

Steve
Old 04 January 2001, 01:43 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have Mintex 1155 pads and Black Diamond X-drilled and grooved discs all round.

They can squeal like a stuck pig when crawling in traffic but usually only when cold.

Otherwise I'm more than happy with them!
Old 04 January 2001, 03:22 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Do these pads squeel on the rear?

I have just bought a set and might not fit them if they do.

Help appreciated
Old 04 January 2001, 04:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys. They still squeal, but only when I drive like a jessie or pulling up to a slow stop in town. Giving them a bit of stick and they come alive. Well pleased, and reaping the full benefits of geometry now the weather has improved - can't stop grinning on these corners