Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New Tyres / Strange Handling

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2000, 10:40 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiya,

After reading the glowing reports of Goodyear F1's in 16" I brought a set for the scoob. Since I've had them I've noticed that motorway driving is now a little scary, as the car can't make up its mind which lane it wants to be in. It just seems to wander.
Add sidewinds to the equation and I'm relegated into the inside lane.
For those in the know, what do these symptoms describe?

I'm running 33psi at the front, and 31 at the back, which I'm going to try lowering to see if it makes a difference.

Your help will be gratefully apreciated.

dela
Old 14 December 2000, 09:21 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Strange.
I have F1's and i am a BIG advocate of them. I mine where fine from the word go!

I run mine @ 32 all round with none of the symptoms you describe. my driving splits 70/30 motorway/other roads.

Did they adjust your tracking/4-wheel alignment or geometry when they fitted the tyres?

F1's are directional, are they all on the right way round? - sounds daft but worth a shot.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 14 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 14 December 2000).]
Old 14 December 2000, 12:08 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Hi

I would have the geometry checked before doing anything else (and maybe set to the Prodrive settings to reduce understeer a bit if you have not already done so ).The Scoob is very sensitive to the geometry settings.

If you have only done a couple of hundred miles the tyres might not be bedded in fully yet.

Also new tyres will normally have more grip but can feel a little unstable compared to the old ones due to the deep tread blocks moving about.I have found this is especially noticable with Brigestone SO2's.Its still stable on the motorway except when changing lanes though.

You could also experiment with pressures to see if they have any effect.

HTH

Andy
Old 14 December 2000, 11:16 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.
The tyres I changed from had the same amount of tread, but they were cheap and had the wear rate of granite, and the grip to match.

I have checked the rotation direction, and all 4 are pointing the right way, so I am wondering if the geometry was somehow misaligned when the car was up on the wheel-free? But surely its something you have to willingly adjust?

I've changed my pressures down to 31psi front and 30 rear and the whole setup seems a lot more stable, so I'll keep experimenting.

Its probably time I got the bump steer and matching PS geometry anyway.

cheers,
dela
Old 15 December 2000, 11:01 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Wasn't there a post a few weeks back about someone who had bought non-EU Firestones from some dealer?

I'd check that your tyres are destined for Europe....and not Malaysia's dirt roads. Anyone know how to identify the difference?

Richard