hegie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i improve the brakes without changing the calipers
Old 03 December 2000, 08:21 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Hegie, go for uprated pads and fluid if you don't want to change the calipers. Plenty of people reccomend pads from EBC, Mintex, Pagid.
Personally I use Mintex 1155 pads all round. Try looking back through previous threads.
Mark
Old 03 December 2000, 11:44 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Really depends on your driving.

My car is a MY97. Tried the Steel hoses, 5.1 fluid, etc etc. At the end of the day, you can increase the stopping power/feel slightly by these bits, but the real STOPPING POWER comes from fitting larger discs and better calipers. Even with all the so say improvements, I would have my brake pedal extending to the floor until I went for the Prodrive/Alcon upgrade. Personally I wouldn't waste my money messing around with what is a small increase in performance. It's not until you've had these brakes do you realise how poor the std set up is.

Steve.
Old 03 December 2000, 11:50 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Hegie, what is it you don't like about your brakes and which calipers/pads/discs have you got?

Depending on what you say, the solution could cost anything from a £50 set of pads to £2,000 worth of top tackle!

Hoppy
Old 04 December 2000, 03:53 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

SteveB,

Scuse me for being ignorant, but what's the Prodrive/Alcon upgrade?
I'm also in need of better anchors on my 97, and Scoobysport tell me better pads will make
a LOT of difference.
Maybe i just want to believe it, given that the alternative is £1,200 of Brembo kit..

Terry
Old 04 December 2000, 04:18 PM
JohnS

At the end of the day you'll get what you pay for.

As stated before, the uprated pads, hoses and fluid do make a difference to pedal feel, and effectiveness when warm/hot. Using the same discs and callipers means that the difference won't be huge, and you'll get perhaps a lap or two more if driving on the track before the performance drops off. Good value for money if you never go on the track.

The big brake kits offer an improvement which is night and day over what a simple pad/hose/fluid upgrade can ever achieve. These should be able to withstand much temperatures, and give a better pedal feel at the same time (ie stay solid regardless of the amount of braking done).

Scoobysport sell a Brembo conversion which fits uder 16 inch wheels.
Scoobymania (and others) sell the AP 4 and 6 pot kits which are suited for 16 and 17 inch wheels (though check wheels carefully before ordering, as the 6 pots don't fit under all 17 inch wheels).
Prodrive offer an Alcon upgrade through Subary dealers, which costs about £1500 inc VAT. This comprises big 330mm discs, callipers (with monogrammed Prodrive logo) and pads (which are the subject of some debate at the moment).

At the end of the day, there are many people who are happy to have upgraded their brakes cost effectively, and are happy, and a few who wished they had just saved that money and put it towards a big brake kit in the first place. Two differrent categories of user, and it's up to the individual to decide which way (if any) they go.
Old 04 December 2000, 11:12 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A good description by John of the various options.
By the way, I don't do any trackdays and found normal upgrade path still not effective after some spirited B road driving.
I can only talk about the upgrade I know and that is the Alcon kit. A similarly driven STI would not keep with a UK car with this kit on, it's that good.

Steve.
Old 05 December 2000, 12:06 AM
scottgod
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have just fitted mintex 1155 pads on my vltd sti and it has made a world of difference. I haven't yet had a track day but fade was apparent during enthusiastic road use, not with the the mintex pads. I have the standard 4 pot calipers and standard discs. Definitely an improvement over standard for only £65.

cheers Scott
Old 05 December 2000, 09:34 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

John is very qualified to comment on this, having driven my car *down* Montseny National Park.

This road has to be the greatest test of brakes that I have ever found. 7 miles of descent. When we stopped at the bottom you could see two plumes of heat haze from the front arches.

Most drivers would descend in a low gear, being very cautious. John blasted every straight, down to every bend... with a huge grin on his face

The problem with any brake upgrade is that it will completely redefine your use of the car. Your limit will become what you now have.

The only solution is to fit the best brakes you can afford, first time.
Old 06 December 2000, 04:57 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Question

Scott,

Is this just for the fronts?

I'm thinking of changing my pads, racing kits are too expensiven and Mintex seem to be pretty good. Also, where did you get them from?

Cheers

Matt
Old 06 December 2000, 07:54 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Unhappy

i'm in the same boat as Matt

which are the Mintex pads? costs
front + rear???

brake fluid?do u change it as well? 5.1?

need this sorted 4 donno on the 30th!!!

help please
Old 07 December 2000, 10:44 AM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

I to am pondering a break upgrade, not got the funds for a full change at the moment so will give the mintex a try. Where did you get yours from Scott?
Old 07 December 2000, 01:18 PM
JohnS

Best price for Mintex pads seems to be Falkland Performance Centre with their offer for SIDC members. Contact details on
Old 07 December 2000, 02:32 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for the info John, I've e-mailed them, and mentioned you

Matt