Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Beastie Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2000, 02:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Been wondering about the brakes on the black beast for a while. And seeing as I've got the urge to go on track once in a while I think I should really think about sorting the brakes.

I'm of the 'brakes first, then bhp' school.

So....

The car is a MY94 WRX Wagon.

God knows what pads. discs and calipers it's got. Guess it would be standard though. If so then can someone tell me what the stanard stuff is for the MY94 WRX Wagon.

What should I do about brakes? my first instinct would be to go for EBC Turbo Groove discs and EBC Green stuff pads on all four corners.

Is this a bit excessive? should I only do the fronts? if so then just pads, or dics and pads? what about the rears? just pop new discs in (which ones?)

I heard Stef mention to Nito at BH that he'd used greenstuff pads if he was a 'all road' man, as he rates them (well I think that's what he said, apologies if I heard wrong)

What about four pot or six pots (car's got 16inch wheels so clearance might be a problem?) Are they worth it, where to get them and how much? are they just for the front or for all round?

Sorry about the numerous questions and suppositions, and the general incoherent nature of this message.

Old 30 October 2000, 03:47 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Markus,
I expect you'll currently have 2 pots on the front. If you intend to go on track with any enthusiasm, the std set up will not be good enough. You only need to upgrade the front brakes, as the more stopping power they have, the more your cars weight is transferred to the front, and the less the rear brakes are used.

Do some searches on brakes - the amount of info is overwhelming, but worth reading.

Your basic choices are:
Disk and Pad upgrades.
4 pots from an STi/P1 + Disk and Pads
maybe new lines and fluid with above option.
New kit (AP, Brembo, Wilwood etc).

Deciding on which is for you depends on how hard you want to push on track. If you're the sort of person who'd rather do the overtaking than the being overtaken, you may need a race kit. You can however have just as much fun getting your car sideways on track, and not worrying about those going passed, who have spent more on their car.

What you don't want to do, is pay for new pads, disks, again and again, to later realise you should have gone for the full kit in the first place. I went for the APs (4 pots fit on 16" wheels) and after a few track days, realise that I would be kicking myself if I had gone for a cheaper option. ope this helps.
Old 30 October 2000, 04:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice.

decisions, decisions!

Any idea what a set of Sti or P1 4 pots would cost?

how much was the AP kit you've got (sorry to be rude!) and what disks and pads are you running?

I do remember seeing the Willwood four pots at the Japanese Auto Extravaganza and they did look very nice, espeically when coupled with EBC Turbo Groove disks and EBC green/red stuff pads.
Old 30 October 2000, 04:33 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Markus I run the Ap 4 pot kit with 330 mm disc's (17 inch wheels) on my STI 5.

There were a few cars running at Brands with standard 2 pot kits on, and the all survived.I believe that Dom and Kims RB5 was one on standard 2 pots).(Sorry if Im wrong K+D)

I have heard good things about the EBC grooved discs and EBC Green Stuff pads as a decent 2 pot kit upgrade from Tyres Northampton.

Obviously the £1,000 plus all singing all dancing brake upgrade is monster but the EBC at £250 fitted will certainly play its part in your trackday/Klang and Ball antics.

...Good luck with the final choice ...Ian
Old 30 October 2000, 04:35 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Marcus, you can pick up ex-P1 setup for around £3/400. Then you can easily spend another £250 on fast road pads n discs.
Or, AP 4 pots for ard £1500, fit under 16" wheels. Or a Hi-Spec set up, cheaper and some swear by them.
I had P1(ish) 4 pots, put on group n discs and DS2000 pads. Then i found some money and bought Alcons - unbelieveable , wish I hadnt done the middle step now
Chuck
PS Kim n Dom have standard 4 pots - same as standard P1 setup

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 30 October 2000).]
Old 30 October 2000, 07:17 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Markus - just so happens I am about to upgrade the brakes on my STI5 to AP 4pots. If you want to upgrade to STI setup which are a lot better than your standard setup talk to me! Also I have the original STI gold wheels with used tyres to sell.
Old 30 October 2000, 10:51 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

EBC discs are fine. The Greenstuff pads are great for road use. But as stated by several people, including from my own experience, Greenstuff do not take to track days. I had a set blow as have others. If I remember correctly, Stef also told me to avoid Redstuff aswell.

Unless their compund has changed in the last 8 months. The same still applies.

I am not knocking EBC. (I want their discs.) Just going from my own experience. Lets put it this way - I was lucky the pads went exiting the corner, 'cause I wouldn't have walked away from the result if they went before the corner.

To sumerise - Discs=Fine, Green Pads=Great road Pads. IMO. Usual disclaimers etc. Scoobynet innocent.

As Trigaaar says, decide how hard you will be pushing, and take into account your own driver skill.

Enjoy,

P.
Old 31 October 2000, 04:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

phil_ng, how much would you want for them?

To be honest I think it'll be after the new year before I have enough cash to get the brakes sorted. I'm not planning on doing a track day, or too many C n B's before then anyway, bit too slippy (and flooded) out there for my liking.

Current feeling is to get some sti 4pots, pagid or mintex pads, some discs (any recommendations?) and obviously dot 5.1(?) fluid and braided hoses.

I know the sti 4 pots will fit on the wagon as James Bushell has the same wheels as me and he's got a set of sti 4 pots.

cheers for the replies, and any other info/insights you can give.

You never know, your advice could get you a passenger ride when I'm on track