Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

EBC Pads for STI - 4 pots............?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2000, 08:44 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking of getting some EBC Greens? How do they rate against standard pads?

Has anyone tried Red stuff, on the road? I've heard that they need to be seriously warmed up b4 they work well, are they are toooo uncompromising?

Help appreciated!

James
Old 15 October 2000, 09:34 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Green Stuff wil be fine the operating temp range overlap anyway, so why trade initial cold bite unless you are going to do serious track work
Old 15 October 2000, 09:59 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

On my standard discs (MY94 UK) I used the EBC Greens and I thought they were great. However I was told that they were heavy on disc wear ~ but I've no idea whether thats right or not.

Playing at 3 sisters track in Wigan I ran out of Std pads in about 15 mins (I am heavy footed on the middle pedal ) However the EBC Greens were still going strong for much longer.......infact brakes weren't the reason I have to cut short play time.....TYRES were shot !

Duh just written all this cr@p and realised you were taking about STi 4 Pots... DARN.

I'll get me coat.

Mark
Old 16 October 2000, 07:49 AM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Smile

EBC greens are a very soft pad that do no last well with grooved discs , they are advertised as kind to discs so they won`t wear the discs that much .The reds are not available as yet , or they weren`t 3 weeks ago when I wanted some to replace the greens that I have at the moment.
Dave
Old 16 October 2000, 12:11 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help! Looks like these'll do for the time being !

I'm not too worried about disk wear, just gives me an excuse to go and get some G-Force discs ......

James
Old 17 October 2000, 08:37 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The EBC GreenStuff (temperature range 0-550°C) are indeed a very soft pad and are not really intended for anything other than road use, or for very light track cars (Caterhams etc). However, to combat the excessive wear rate that a lot of people have been experiencing with the Greens, the pads have recently (within the last few weeks) been upgraded and now have a higher copper content. However, I would still only recommend them as a road pad, as hard driving will see them down to the metal on the track in one or two twenty minute sessions!

The RedStuff (temperature range 100°C to 750°C) is more suitable for fast road and track use (as tested by Stef ) and offers a good compromise. However, still expect to get through a set of pads at a track day if driven with any vigour. On the road they don't appear to require warming up (on 330mm size discs anyway...) and I would suggest these as the ideal pad for a "press-on" driver.

The YellowStuff (temperature range 150°C to 950°C) is a proper track pad and is NOT recommended for road use. It is this that needs warming up (ask Stef, as he has tried a set on the road ). This is what I use for track days and last year did 140+ hard miles at Donington before they finally gave up....

The pads are available to suit both the four-pot and six-pot AP calipers, as well as "most" of the current Impreza range.
Best regards
Mike R - EBC Agent (like a secret agent, but not as exciting... )

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 17 October 2000).]
Old 17 October 2000, 03:06 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've used EBC redstuff on the road and I can confirm that they didn't require any warming. However, I was very disappointed by their performance. In my experience, it takes very little to make them fade and warming them up is the last thing that you would want to do. When they do fade, they go completely. It's quite astonishing how little friction they generated. Braking distances were unbelievable. I've had Mintex 1155 pouring out smoke after 12 miles on track and still providing far more stopping power than the redstuff pads provided after a couple of moderate-big stops on the road. I chose to bin them at the first opportunity I had.

I would recommend Mintex or Ferodo. Both brands have performed far better in my experience with Subaru four pot calipers.
Old 17 October 2000, 11:53 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

I wish i'd read these earlier !

Oh well! nevermind, the pads have now been fitted and first impressions are good, but maybe that's because my last set of standard pads were completely shaged!

The Clang - N - Ball is on the 29th, so i'll have to see how they hold up?

James

See Clang - N - Ball in southern section if you've not heard of it !
Old 18 October 2000, 07:00 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Greens are great for normal road use.
Reds are average on road and track.
Yellows are in my car again at the mo', and are not really for road use but it's Oulton and Brands over the next two weeks....

Stef.