Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2000, 06:24 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My local wheel/tyre dealer reckons there very few fitments of 18” wheels available for the Impreza ‘cause of the offset they need. Also that I should stick to 7” or 7.5” maximum in width for my car.

The car is a UK MY99 4 door. Is anyone out there running 18’s on same model and if so what make/model are they, what offset are they, what size tyres are you using and do you have any problems with scrubbing/full lock etc ?

If possible can anyone post pics on this thread to let me see what they are like either on car or off car.

If there are suitable rims to my liking, there will be a set of 6 spoke 7”x17” (52mm offset) ST2’s (not the RB5 wheel!) up for grabs (Subaru supplied), with 215/40x17 Pirelli P7000’s, 3-4mm tread left on all four wheels and tyres.

My preferences of wheel if available are 5 or 6 spokes that reach to the edge of the rim, but all styles will be considered.

Thanks

A
Old 24 September 2000, 01:32 PM
Boost
Scooby Regular

Alan

The P1 WR has 18" OZ wheels, fitted with 225/35 Pirelli P Zeros. I don't think there is any difference to the arches of standard car, just modified suspension geometry. Perhaps the guy from Prodrive that posts can give some more details. They look like bigger versions of the standard P1 wheel ie 10 spoke, anthracite colour.
Old 25 September 2000, 12:11 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info.

Mike

I feel that the car is underdamped just now with the 17” wheels, but this may be more so ‘cause I have an ECU upgrade (16psi). I didn’t notice it before with the car on the standard ECU.

My car’s geometry at the moment is 1mm toe-in both front and rear with 1-degree neg. camber front and rear. Is this okay?

What is the offset on the 18” P1’s?

Err..…fitting instructions?……are there spacers to fit then?

Can the wheels be purchased on their own for the std saloon and not P1 only? If so do I have to buy one of Prodrive’s “packages” to get them?

Finally, (bet you wished you hadn’t answered now!), unconnected with wheels but can the HID lamps I’ve read about be purchased and retrofitted to the saloon? I don’t really like the Morette four lamp version and the standard lamps are very poor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Alan
Old 25 September 2000, 12:12 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info.

Mike

I feel that the car is underdamped just now with the 17” wheels, but this may be more so ‘cause I have an ECU upgrade (16psi). I didn’t notice it before with the car on the standard ECU.

My car’s geometry at the moment is 1mm toe-in both front and rear with 1-degree neg. camber front and rear. Is this okay?

What is the offset on the 18” P1’s?

Err..…fitting instructions?……are there spacers to fit then?

Can the wheels be purchased on their own for the std saloon and not P1 only? If so do I have to buy one of Prodrive’s “packages” to get them?

Finally, (bet you wished you hadn’t answered now!), unconnected with wheels but can the HID lamps I’ve read about be purchased and retrofitted to the saloon? I don’t really like the Morette four lamp version and the standard lamps are very poor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Alan
Old 25 September 2000, 09:33 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The 18" P1 wheels will fit a 4 door, all you have to do is follow the fitting instructions.
I would not recommend fitting them with std suspension though as the car may be very nervous and feel underdamped. You must also ensure that the geometry is set to our normal settings or the car may tramline and you will not get the full benefit of the extra performance.
If you are tempted to use another tyre than the PZero, DONT as they will catch the arches at the rear.

Mike
Old 25 September 2000, 01:21 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Alan

The geometry settings you have already on the car will be OK, but I would suggest changing the suspension first if you feel the car is already underdamped.

The offset of the wheels are the same as std and they do not need spacers to fit them as they have been specially disigned for this fitment. the fitting instructions include how to fit the front stone deflectors and a small mod to the rear bumper fastenings.

The wheels are currently only available with tyres as they are in very short supply but the same parts will be OK on your car. You do not need to buy them along with anything else, but we do not recommend fitting them with std suspension.

The HID lamps are only available as an upgrade for the P1, if you want to improve your current lighting on main beam then the best way is with the PIAA lamp kit available from your dealer.

Mike
Old 25 September 2000, 06:20 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Mike

I just read some of your text regarding the P1 18" wheels.

Are you suggesting that P1 owners with 18" wheel packages will have to use PZero tyres when the time comes to replace them due to the design of the tyre wall edges ?

This is not a gripe...I am just wondering what options are available as people often have their own preferences about tyres.

Kind Regards

Ian Gratton.
Old 25 September 2000, 06:43 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Ian

The tyre most people would probably look at as a replacement for the PZero would be an S02. We tried this as part of the development and found it to be not as good in this application as a PZero. We also needed to dress the arches as it is 10mm wider because of the kerbing ribs!

Mike
Old 25 September 2000, 10:45 PM
PLUTO
Scooby Newbie

Cool

what you need are some nice 18ich radius R3 alloys.7X17 ET50 fit ok on my sti 5 with lowered suspension even with a full load.(running 235/35/18 pzero).No mods what so ever.
Old 26 September 2000, 04:14 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Pluto

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of them would you?
Offline if necessary.

A
Old 27 September 2000, 12:37 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Paul

As the arches on the 22B are so big, virtally any wheel will fit. The only problem is that the sort of size of wheel and tyre you need to 'fill' the arches will give very bad tramlining and torque steer.

Any wheel that fits a std bodied car will look a little lost in the arches on a 22B but will give good results from a handling point of view, but that's not why you asked!

The above means that we don't have anything to do what you ask without fitting unacceptably large spacers which will ruin the handling.

Mike

Old 27 September 2000, 09:46 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Questions for Mike Wood really....

Mike will the 17" P1 wheel fit the standard car? Will I need any additional bits to make them fit?
Are there are any special fitting instructions?

Thanks
Jason
Old 27 September 2000, 10:41 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Jason

Yes

No

No

Mike
Old 27 September 2000, 11:53 AM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Mike,
Slightly different question but still one in relation to 18" Wheels.
I've fancied for some time putting larger wheels (i.e. 6 spoke Gold Speedlines) on my 22B. Would they fit, or would the 18" wheels from the P1 fit ?
The idea is to 'fill' the arches width wise and on depth.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Regards Paul.

P.S. Any truth re the P3 (I won’t tell anyone - honest!!!)
Old 27 September 2000, 01:33 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments Mike, I'll have to stick with my dinky wheels then!

P3?????????????
Go on, we can keep a secret
(fingers crossed behind my back)
Old 27 September 2000, 07:09 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Mike

Thank you

Jason
Old 27 September 2000, 09:14 PM
PLUTO
Scooby Newbie

Just require some help on how to post a photo on here.So you can see the wheels.
Old 28 September 2000, 09:56 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Cool

(IMG)http://www.yourwebsite.co.uk/wheel.jpg(/IMG)

Replac the ( ) with [ ]. The picture needs to be on a site somewhere....
Old 30 September 2000, 10:30 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestion Pluto

I’ve now seen what the R3’s look like, they look fine and suit the Scooby.

I liked the ST2’s ‘cause they were easy to keep clean with little effort, you could access the inside of the wheels to clean, hence keeping the car and wheels looking like new, but the R3’s will need the wheels off to clear the brakedust inside.

My local wheel/tyre dealer has offered me a set of R3’s with tyres (215/35x18) for £1300, is this okay, or are there cheaper outlets out there? Where did you get yours?

If this sounds about right and there’s nothing else out there, I will advertise my 17” ST2’s for sale.

Would still like suggestions of other possible fitments for the Impreza, if anyone can help.

Cheers

A
Old 30 September 2000, 12:05 PM
PLUTO
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

CHEERS RICH