Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Which brake upgrade for 94 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2000, 08:57 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've had a 94 WRX for a week now and I'm very glad I bought one, but the brakes, as I'm sure you all know are "not brilliant" Can anyone recommend a decent upgrade, bearing in mind I don't have pots of cash left now, so AP's 6 pots will have to wait for a while
Old 18 September 2000, 11:51 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

Hi...

You can always upgrade gradually... for instance, upgrade pads (e.g. to Mintex etc) as this makes a fair bit of difference. Then discs (e.g. bremsport, GpN etc), braided hoses, and brake support bracket. This would likely give good enough road braking performance. However, you would still be using the crappy early WRX calipers... not ideal.

Alternatively, you could go for a second-hand STi brake kit... better 4 pot calipers, pads, and bigger discs than on the earlier WRX's... I think around £350ish is the going rate? Then if required, get hold of the braided hoses and brake support braket. And upgrade these pads and discs as and when required for further improvement.

Plenty of options available for significantly less than the £1500+ for full big brake upgrades... depends on your budget. Of course, you pays your money...

Matthew
Old 19 September 2000, 01:24 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Lightbulb

If you change your calipers make sure they fit under the wheels!
I've got a 95WRX with the 2pot calipers and was told by scoobysport if I went to 4pots I'd have to change the wheels (I've got the twin 5 spoke WRX type). I upgraded to Pagid grooved discs and Pagid FR pads. Next on my list are the hoses and fluid, if you don't intend to do many track days and have a limited budget (like myself) this setup could be for you. I'm very happy with the performance, but ultimatly 4pots+ is the way to go.

Cheers

Justin
Old 21 September 2000, 09:00 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat....

Hi-Spec in Dartford do a big disk kit which uses the standard 2-pot caliper along with 315mm disks for circa 400GBP.

I have this and you do not need to change your wheels.

I have a 94 WRX and I thought the brakes were shockingly bad - I have tried upgraded standard-size disks/pads/bracket/fluid/hoses and fitting bigger disks made by far the most difference.

See this old thread for more info: