Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Bleeding new 4-pot brakes

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2000, 03:14 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Ive just fitted 4-pot (ex P1) brakes to my MY93 WRX. After bleeding them, the pedal is still 'very spongy' and sinks to the floor when the engine is started, and wont maintain any 'pedal feel'.

One theory i have is there could be air trapped somewhere in the caliper, could this be true?
Or has anyone any other ideas?

I know the brakes require bedding in, but the pedal isn't even firm yet despite no air bleeding through with the fluid.

Please help
Phil.

P.S. I have checked for leaks.
Old 14 September 2000, 05:15 PM
g4vln
Scooby Regular

Wink

Clarey, Try this, Put the car on 4 axles stands, ensuring the car is a level as possible. Buy a proper bleeding kit. This should include a header pot to fill with DOT4/5 fluid. Start at the furthest caliper from the resovoir. You'll need someone in the car to depress the pedal as you realease the bleed nipple(I find mother in Law's quiet depressing ). Try to flush at least half a litre throught the system. That should clear any problems with air in the calipers. I apologize if you knew all this already. It worked for me though.
Rgds
G4VLN
Old 15 September 2000, 12:41 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

I have fitted 4 pots to my car too.I found I didn't need to bleed them.I just opened the bleed nipples in turn until fluid flowed out by gravity(I was on my own).

When I tried the pedal it was good and firm.I left the car for half an hour before opening the nipples again.There was a bit of air in one but the other was fine.I went for a drive and the pedal was good.

The next day I did a fluid change with the help of a mate and didn't notice any difference to pedal feel.

From my experience above it seems unlikely that air is trapped in the calipers, it sounds like you have air in the lines to the rear brakes,as g4vln says a good bleed front and back should sort it.You may as well change the fluid while your at it,putting 1 litre through will easily be enough.

Andy

PS This maybe a bit obvious but I take it you have pumped the pedal enough to seat the pads against the discs and that the reservoir is full!

[This message has been edited by AndyMc (edited 15 September 2000).]
Old 16 September 2000, 07:33 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies,

Ive just re-fitted the brakes with braided hoses, so i will bleed the whole system with DOT 5.1 now.(the reason i didn't do this first was i just wanted to check wheel clearance)

I must agree it seems like air to the rear brakes, as when i disconnected the front hoses from the calipers, i was covered in fluid

Thanks again
Phil.