Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Alloys - which ones are best?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2000, 02:46 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I'm not talking colour or style here, but which alloys are the strongest and lightest? And how can you tell?

What is the difference between an alloy wheel costing £50 and one costing £250? Mostly they all LOOK pretty good, so how can you tell which ones are up to the stresses of track day use on slicks?

Is price a true measure? Or do you just go for a good motorsport brand name? If so, how much do you need to spend and which are the top brands? Is there any particular design of wheel that is inherently stronger?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm about to spend a lot of money on a full upgrade to 17in wheels with 6-pot AP brakes. I'm fed up with warped discs on my 16in wheels that just ain't up to it so, now I've tracked down some 17in slicks, it's the full Monty.

Thanks in advance.

Hoppy
Old 13 September 2000, 08:53 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hoppy.

If you're gonna stick slicks on them and use them for track I wouldn't put anything too smart or expensive on, just in case you visit any gravel!

Stef.
Old 14 September 2000, 12:39 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Thanks Stef. Good advice, as I've been there and the kitty litter certainly bites hard and rips into wheels and sills. Might get some mud flaps.

I guess you've learned the hard way, too, judging by your antics at Donno recently. I thought you were in serious trouble until, after doing it three corners on the trot, I realised you were doing it (almost) on purpose!

But to the point. I really don't much care what the car looks like on track. I just want wheels that can take some hammer.

Any recommendations greatly received.

Hoppy