Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

groaning grooves

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2000, 09:06 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've recently fitted new EBC discs & greenstuff pads, and have now done enough miles to start leaning on the middle pedal a bit more.

However, I have noticed that under harder braking the new set-up makes a very loud droning noise. Is this normal for slotted discs?

I assume that the noise is probably from the sharp edge of the grooves not yet being rounded off (fully bedded in), but would like some reassurance (I've no previous experience with grooved discs).

Dave
Old 22 August 2000, 09:28 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Hi

The noise is normal.

Some people dont like it, others just ignor it, as a first timer on this type of disk you will not be able to ignor it for some time, still your brakes will be better.

Barge
Old 24 August 2000, 02:42 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Dave.

How are you finding the EBC set-up?

Stef.
Old 25 August 2000, 10:23 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for your comments, Barge.

The new EBC pads and discs feel a lot better than the standard set-up (although the old brakes were glazed and warped! ).

The initial bite is good, although they do seem to improve a bit more with some extra heat. In fact I have no complaints about the performance, but I was just a little disturbed at how noisy they were when leaned on quite hard.

I'm getting more confident now, and will start to explore their charateristics this w/e now that I've put on some more miles.

The only thing I've got to get used to now is the ABS kicking in a bit more regularly!

Dave
Old 26 August 2000, 12:11 AM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dave,

I found that after about 500 miles the pads no longer needed a warm up before getting the full braking effect.

The noise from the grooves is only if you brake quite hard, in normal driving they are virtually the same as the standard disks.
Old 27 August 2000, 02:06 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

DaveD,

Had the same kit fitted about 1000 miles ago. I'm very satisfied with both the kit and the service I got from Tyres Northampton at the time
My confidence in being able to stop rapidly has greatly improved. Had to emergency brake on the M1 last Wednesday. I could, with quite some safety margin, but the Clio behind had to swerve into the middle lane to avoid disappearing up my tail pipe. The ar$e shouldn't have been so close . . . but that's another thread . .

I wouldn't describe the droning noise as "very loud" though. It's more a low rumble, which is coupled with some pedal vibration - only when breaking very heavily of course. Gets a bit noisier with a little more vibration shortly before stopping, but still not "very loud". Perhaps these is some resonance with under-bonnet bits?

At what sort of speed is it very loud?

Suresh
Old 05 September 2000, 11:15 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have now done a few more miles, and the brakes now feel 'normal' - ie, no warm-up needed, and the "very loud noise" is now just "a noise" under heavey braking.

I'm very impressed with the EBC discs and pads - I now have the confidence that I'm going to stop when I hit the middle peddal!

I'd definitelly reccomend this as a basic upgrade from the original equipment parts.

Dave
Old 06 September 2000, 02:16 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Question

Dave,
How much? And did you only do the front?

Regards,
Squizz.
Old 06 September 2000, 07:22 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Squizz,

I got the discs and pads from Demon Tweeks - 01978 664466 - who were very helpful, as ever.

For my MY93 WRX the costs were:
Greenstuff Pads £45 approx + VAT
Discs £140 + VAT.

approx. £220 all-in including postage.

Apparently there are quite a few different sizes of pads/discs available - so make sure you get the right ones! (I didn't get the right pads first time round - their fault - but they were happy to exchange.)

Dave

Forgot to say, I only changed the fronts after cooking the originals in France . Don't see any real need to change the rears atm. NB: Always upgrade your front brakes before the rears!!!!!

[This message has been edited by DaveD (edited 06 September 2000).]
Old 07 September 2000, 12:08 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ah!

I'm waiting for Black Diamond x-drilled and grooved dics for front/back and mintex 1155 pads all round...£456

Let's hope they turn out as good as yours.

Regards,
Squizz.
Old 08 September 2000, 09:52 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

How much were the front Black Diamond discs and where from?