Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Prodrive 330mm Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2000, 10:37 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who can give some info abouth this Upgrade ??

Fastroad-use, & Trackuse ??
Old 21 June 2000, 11:40 PM
Mr BLITZ
Scooby Regular

Wink

This kit is simply AWESOME

BUY IT MATEY, YOU WONT REGRET IT

Cheers

Mr Blitz

ps: maybe not quite objective, but what the hell
Old 21 June 2000, 11:53 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Not you Mr Blitz,....I like to know the Trackperformance !

.....But also Thanks till now !
Old 22 June 2000, 08:46 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

If you do a search, I think someone compared the differences between Prodrive, AP & Brembo. If I remember rightly, the Prodrive kits doesn't have alloy bells/hubs. But I may be wrong. Can't really go wrong with all 3 - they're all awesome.
Old 22 June 2000, 09:03 AM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yep, the Prodrive kit (made by Alcon) uses a single piece disc, rather than mounted on an alloy bell.

Despite this, the performance is stunning. The disc is 330mm diameter, 28mm width, curved vane. The calipers are aluminium with pistons sized at 34.9/41.3mm, from the same generic family (though doubtless a <I>distant</I> relation!) as the calipers on the WRC car.

(I got this info from Alcon when I bought the kit)

I can't give numbers or stopping distances for track performance - I've never seem them for any of the kits - but as CraigH says, they're all pretty awesome - as they should be for the price! Certainly when fitted to the Prodrive demo cars seen at track days, they seem to be able to stay out on track until they run out of petrol and brake fade is not a problem

If you do a search, RobMac made some comments on the various kits in response to a question I posed.

Hope this helps
Alastair
Old 22 June 2000, 07:09 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks !
Old 24 June 2000, 01:32 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

why do you want to get the prodrive kit which are " from the same generic family (though doubtless a distant relation!) as the calipers on the WRC car." when the AP calipares are the ones used by a lot of the rally teams ???.

Theo just go for the real deal. i have a set of APs and i can stay on the track for as long as i feel like with almost not fade. their performance is so good that i had to force myself to brake latter than i think and still get away with it

sam
Old 26 June 2000, 09:41 AM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sam,

There can be plenty of reasons to choose the Alcon kit - I wasn't claiming one set offered any better performance than the other - as far as I can tell, they are all awesome (as they <I>should</I> be for the price).

For me, some of the reasons were - Prodrive branding (it was going on a Prodrive car), ease of purchase (they were included in the finance on the car) and the fact they are a Subaru approved part. To others, none of those things might matter.

My comment that the caliper was likely to be a distant relation was based on the expectation that the WRC caliper may be more advanced (or water cooled or different in some other way). Perhaps that is not the case? Which WRC teams use the AP caliper?

Theo - you certainly should look at all alternatives. Prodrive (Alcon), Brembo and AP are the most popular, and all have their supporters. Your choice will likely come down to your own personal priorities...

Cheers
Old 26 June 2000, 09:51 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Cool

mitsu EVO VI WRC uses AP 6pot 368mm discs water cooled at the front and 4pot 320mm at the back. most wrc cars use 368 mm discs i think may be the max allowed however the group N cars can't get the size of the discs that much bigger than the standard. alot of these cars subarus and evo are running AP KITS ?

may be things have changed but in the last motor show i went to in the secc in glasgow. they had alot of rally cars in display in the history section and if i recall correctly most of them had AP'S on.

now in the wrc subaru and toyota are running alcon and the focus is running Brembo

sam
Old 27 June 2000, 09:42 AM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sam,

Thanks for the info - interesting stuff - it does back up my supposition that the calipers on a WRC car would be fairly different from a road car

(unless you <I>do</I> have water cooled 6 pots of that size on a road car, in which case you must be able to stop on the proverbial sixpence, not to mention having huuuuuge wheels )

Anyway, I only said that Subaru use Alcon calipers on their WRC cars, not that all the other teams did - notably tho, in Round 5 this year (Catalunya) all cars in the top 10 were running either Alcon discs, calipers or both. In other rallies, AP and Brembo will be to the fore. I don't think you can single out any one of the 3 manufacturers as clearly superior.

As I've said before, I think for most people, the choice will come down to their own priorities (which will differ from person to person)

One thing I've still never seen is actual performance figures for cars fitted with these kits. i.e. stopping distances from various speeds. Anyone have any?

Cheers and thanks for the info.
Alastair

Old 27 June 2000, 12:31 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As the good Doctor says, most of the rally teams use AP Racing Brakes (Even the ones who use Brembo on their Road cars).

They use different set-ups and sizes for different stages. The water cooled calipers don't allow the brakes to go over 60 degrees, they are used on tarmac stages.

<I>They even do (competition only) 6 pot calipers which will fit under a 15" wheel.</I>

Mike.
Old 27 June 2000, 11:14 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

your absolutely right Alastair. I think also there is a lot pf politics involved in rally team choice of brakes.
however at knockhill in the last track day I was at a 22b with brembo tried to out brake me before the chicane from the inside (now how cheeky is that??? just because it is a MY99) but guess what he failed miserably . kept me laughing anyway

sam
Old 29 June 2000, 07:02 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Smile

These sound good guys, any ideas on prices?

Matt
Old 29 June 2000, 09:28 AM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Matt,

The Prodrive/Alcon kit is 1500 pounds - available via your local dealer.

For AP, mosey on over to
Old 30 June 2000, 12:12 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know what make the Prodrive disc upgrades are?

Supposed to be £140ea

Greg
Old 30 June 2000, 12:15 AM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Question

Greg,

Can't help you with the make, but I assume you have asked Prodrive themselves? They're usually pretty helpful with email enquiries...

Cheers
Alastair

PS - Would you expect significant differences between manufactures anyway on a normal size disc? I'd have thought they'd all be pretty good.
Old 30 June 2000, 01:56 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Prodrice have said:

"The discs are made by Alcon and are exclusive to Prodrive. They are made from the same material as the WRC disc and are a smaller version of the 330mm disc. They are spiral vented to improve cooling and grooved to keep the pad surface clean."

Yes from what I am hearing cheaper discs can be prone to crack and warp under track conditions.

Greg