Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ABS failure?

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2000, 04:09 PM
chute
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As a new owner of an Impreza, I've been feeling my way along with the fantastic performance. However, when braking hard on the straight, I manage to lock up the drivers side front wheel. At least I think I do because I leave rubber on the road! Is the ABS faulty or am I asking too much of it? AND why is it always the same wheel? Any help appreciated. By the wat its a 99 T reg with new brake pads.
Old 25 May 2000, 04:34 PM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Chute,

Quick question - I presume it is locking at speed rather than the completion of braking to a halt? (Remember ABS switches off below a certain speed, so it becomes possible to lock then)

If it does it consistently on different road surfaces, and it's the same wheel all the time it would (I guess) suggest a failure of the ABS sensor on that wheel. Don't know if that would trigger the ABS warning light?(which I assume is off since you don't mention it)

The ABS certainly shouldn't let the wheel lock for any length of time at speed no matter how hard you brake - if it does, take it to your friendly local dealer and let the warranty take care of it.

Cheers
Alastair

[This message has been edited by AlastairB (edited 25-05-2000).]
Old 25 May 2000, 05:20 PM
chute
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Alastair, now you mention it, the speed at which it "locked" was approx 40mph. Think I will have it checked. Not used to the luxury of ABS! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AlastairB:
<B>Chute,

Quick question - I presume it is locking at speed rather than the completion of braking to a halt? (Remember ABS switches off below a certain speed, so it becomes possible to lock then)

If it does it consistently on different road surfaces, and it's the same wheel all the time it would (I guess) suggest a failure of the ABS sensor on that wheel. Don't know if that would trigger the ABS warning light?(which I assume is off since you don't mention it)

The ABS certainly shouldn't let the wheel lock for any length of time at speed no matter how hard you brake - if it does, take it to your friendly local dealer and let the warranty take care of it.

Cheers
Alastair

[This message has been edited by AlastairB (edited 25-05-2000).][/quote]