Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

why are my brakes not as good as an EVO VI?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2000, 10:33 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just acquired a set of second hand AP BRAKES. i have got new pads for them and they are great, no fade at all and can do 10-15 laps in knockhill no problems compared 6-7 laps previously. however I have just driven my friend evo VI, and his brakes are still much better ?. don't get me wrong my brakes are much much better than they used to be ( MY99).
according to one the mags that i have looked at lately (car or evo ) the EVO extreme they had pictured had the same 4 pot AP BRAKES as mine which mean they were upgraded from the standard brembo set-up. also most rally cars use AP BRAKES including the EVO VI WRC. so where is the difference in performance coming from ? could it be because the EVO come with brembo brakes on the rear as well as the front.

help please from people in the know. has any one noticed the same thing ? or should i get my brakes checked?

or maybe i need one of these Brake bracket thingy ?

Sam
Old 16 May 2000, 08:03 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

yes it does. is there such a kit available for the scooby?
Old 16 May 2000, 12:09 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Sam, but did you take a look at the rear brakes. A standard EVO 6 has Brembos all round. So I can only assume that this might be the same for the extreme.

Dan
Old 16 May 2000, 04:54 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sam.
Perhaps it's the pads. A braking set-up is only as good as the pads you use in it.
I have tested four supposedly semi-racing pads at Donno, and the differences between them were quite surprising.
What pads are you using?

Stef.
Old 16 May 2000, 05:25 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sam

At Snetterton this w/e, I was hauling in on Evos. Scoobysport Brembos & lines all round & on the supplied pads not Pagids. Wicked
Old 16 May 2000, 09:02 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have AP Racing 330mm x 28mm with four pots, all round pagid blues and braided hoses front and rear. Again the brakes are much better than standard but not what I expected after spending all this money on them. The problem, according to top man at AP is that the Subaru has a very poor brake actuator and there is something in the ABS system that ruins the brake feel. To be honest, braking power is there but there is no sharp bite or feel, it all feels a bit wooden. The non ABS scoobs like the type R's and RA's have much better feel which is probably why the original P1 (white one) was given excellent reviews on the brakes, while the finished article was slated. I'm not sure if to get this feel you could just remove the fuse or have to eradicate the entire ABS system! I also think grooved discs give much better feel than the drilled discs which I have on mine! Certainly they are more fade resistant on the track!

Hope this helps,
Nito
Old 17 May 2000, 05:04 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

stef
i have mintex 1155 pads . what do you recommend?, the pads have to withstand heavy track use plus normal every day driving. these pads used to be very squeaky until they have been to knockhill.

dave
the discs are the 304x28 so they are probably smaller than the evo's.

does any one know the min thickness of the disc.

i am definitely going for a brake support bracket very soon after i have seen the amount of movement that occurs in the bulkhead
Old 17 May 2000, 09:00 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Sam, I think Stef might say something along the same lines as this, I may also be wrong.

If you can have two type of pads.

1. Either EBC Green's or Carbon Metallics Z rated for road use. (Including Fast Road)

2. Use a higher compound pad (i.e. 83 or 93 for track). Either EBC Red or Yellow (depends on how hard you drive on the track) or again try the Carbon Metallics, but specify that they need to be the higher compound.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 17 May 2000, 09:59 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Most of you dont subscribe to EVO list. Mr Bolton has gone through 3 sets of discs in 13,000 miles and everyone else seems to complain. Seems that all they can talk about is the poor quality of the brakes.

Jonathan
Old 17 May 2000, 11:02 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks dan
does scooby mania sell the EBC green ?.
has anyone tried both mintex 1155 and ebc green to tell us the difference?. sorry to sound stupid here but what is carbon metalic z rated pads ?!!.

johnathan
i have a look at the lancer turbo web site from time to time. i am sure this is a one off incedince they probably wanting something to wing about
Old 17 May 2000, 11:08 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sam.
Do NOT use ANY EBC pads on track, they don't last very long.
I am currently using 'Performance Friction Carbon Metallic' pads (93 compound), which are awesome both road and track.
They do apparently have a tendency to open the face of the disc, but as mine are pretty old now it's hard to tell.
I am testing some FERODO DS3000 soon though.
Try the PF's though, but make sure you clean the disc face properly else they won't be as efficient.
If you don't see an improvement then, there's another problem.

Stef.
Old 17 May 2000, 11:49 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks stef
where did you get the performance friction pads? how much do they cost and are they noisy when cold ?. how is your disc holding after all that abuse how many miles have you done on them to date, also what do you think of the original AP brake pads?

sam
Old 18 May 2000, 10:29 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I have always suspected that fitting uprated brake hardware will throw the caliper/master cylinder/actuator balance off (calipers with different piston characteristics), thus killing the feel of the standard equipment brakes... I think you can find single stage master cyclinder/actuator kits to improve the feel, but this is likely to be costly and finding the right unit may take time.
Old 18 May 2000, 02:21 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

hello

i have flu
Old 18 May 2000, 06:48 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sam.

Any decent parts place should be able to get the PFC pads, try Scoobymania.
They do squeal a little when cold though.

If you (or anybody else) want to put your mind at rest about your brakes, look at this weeks Autocar (17 May), turn to page 25 and read column 3, paragraph 2.
Made me chuckle....

Stef.
Old 18 May 2000, 08:27 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Sam, check your mail.

Dan