Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Michelin Pilot Sports anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2000, 12:56 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anybody actually tried these expensive beasts in 205/50-16 size? I know people have made comments about the various other Pilot models, but it's the Pilot Sports I'm specifically interested in, especially how they compare with S02PPs and Goodyear Eagle F1s.

The Yoko AVS Sports sound a bit slidey from Nick's description, but my F1s aren't exactly like superglue now they've done over 10k miles. I think it's a toss-up between more F1s, the Yokos or these mysterious Michelins.

-= mike =-
Old 11 March 2000, 12:35 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had Pilot Sport 215/40 until Donnington.
I was sliding all over the place though I do know better drivers who have managed five track days with them.
I'm now on Toyo's supplied by Tyres Northampton without whom I would still be at Donnington ... Two of the pilots left the rims and were ruined.
Up until my day on the track I was happy with the tyres. No excessive road noise, nice ride, nice tread pattern. The toyos come out a bit further on the sidewall so, if your in town you get a little warning as you get closer to the kerb.
Old 11 March 2000, 12:52 AM
strong
Scooby Regular

Mike, how about being the first to try the new P-Zero Rosso (mentioned in this month's Evo)?

Paul
Old 13 March 2000, 08:49 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike

I did Catalunya, last year on Pilt SX GT's, the fore runner to the Pilot Sport.

On the warm dry roads of Spain, they were staggering, never once letting go. It was almost like driving on warm slicks.

BUT, come back to Blighty and try to drive some wet country lanes... well they were lethal.

I also did Oulton Park in the wet, on them. Whilst Mike Wood and I normally post simalar times on track days, Mike was taking at least 5 seconds a lap off me. From the moment of turning in, there was no grip at all, but worse, very litle sideways resistance in a slide, even at low speed.

They had to go.

On went a set of SO2's and I will not use anything else (at the moment).

The wear rate of the Pilots was brilliant, but the compound was much to hard and better suited to a high mileage rep mobile.
Old 17 March 2000, 11:40 AM
Dul
Scooby Regular

I had Goodyear Eagle F1 (205/45/16). The first year, they were totally rubbish on the dry. As soon as they were warmed up (only after a few curves) the car was really sliding all around. (well, lot of fun but not efficient at all) But on another hand, they were good on the wet.
I was so disappointed I replaced them with Pzero (205/45/16). Even from new they had really more grip (on dry) but not as well as the F1's on the wet. Then I had some winter tires...
One year after, I put back my old F1 (quite worn out). But what a surprise, they were much better on the dry as previously (I guess their component got harder and firmer while I let them on my cellar). Anyway, at the end they were more or less like the standard Bridg. on dry surface....

For the rest, have a look at
Old 18 March 2000, 08:29 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Michelins I've had have always tended to fell like a harder less grippy compound than Pirellis or Yokohamas. Great if you want tyres to last for ages but not as good for press on driving styles

Allan