Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Cheap(er) Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2000, 10:51 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I visited Hi Spec Motorsport in Dartford on saturday to get some new brakes fitted (I drive a Legacy GT-B by the way, 260bhp, heavier than an Impreza and the same brakes)

I thought the original brakes were crap, faded very quickly and didn't seem to have much stopping power

The first plan was for 335*32mm discs with wilwood 4 pot calipers - unfortunately the spokes on the standard GT-B wheels are too deep and wouldn't allow the calipers to fit, these brakes really did look the business though (£750 + fitting and VAT, includes braided pipes and EBC pads)

So we went for the other option - 315*28mm discs (up from 276*24mm) with the orginal calipers (2 pot) modified to fit. This kit also comes with EBC green pads. The caliper bracket is ground back just enough to allow the extra 4mm thickness of the discs to fit. Alloy spacing brackets are then fitted to move the calipers out.

The discs have alloy bells and the discs can be plain, grooved or X-drilled (I went for x-drilled, having been assured that this was more effective than grooves for removing gas and dust and will not crack on the road). The setup costs £350 + fitting + VAT

The difference is amazing, no fade (that I've noticed yet), far more power and more positive braking - I'm very pleased with them

They also look great in the wheels

Paul
Old 08 February 2000, 04:08 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Red face

Paul

Have I misread this, or did they really grind 4mm of material off your caliper????

Better friction from weaker components doesn't work for me.
Old 08 February 2000, 06:26 PM
Lee.A
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Do you have there address as I'm looking for some new disc and pads , without going all the way to power engineering

cheers
Old 08 February 2000, 09:15 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
I considered this untill i heard about the caliper grinding bit.

If you have a crash related to brakes then i recon the insurance company will crucify you if they spot this.

The real worry for me would be the possibility of grinding in stress raisers that would lead to a crack developing.

I am now fitting STi IV 4 pots to my sport with M1144 pads and grooved disks from scooby mania to uprate the brakes. I am also fitting their bulkhead support bracket system aswell.
Old 08 February 2000, 10:01 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Pete/John

They certainly didn't grind 4mm of the calipers, it was just a very small amount as the disc was only just too big, and it was off the bracket that the caliper slides on, not ideal I don't think, but I don't think it would lose much at all in the way of strength.

Ideally (with money not as short as it is at the moment I would have gone for Pete's Brembos, although now I'm not sure they would fit behind the wheels, standard GT-B 17*7 alloys)

Pete

I spoke to you before christmas about a backbox and downpipes for the Legacy, I haven't forgotten but a few more pressing financial items came first, including warped front discs

Lee
Hi Spec

Phone 01322 286850
Fax 01322 286851
Unit 8
Parker Industrial Estate
Watling Street
Dartford
Kent

Paul

[This message has been edited by pnebbs (edited 08-02-2000).]
Old 08 February 2000, 10:34 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Can someone tell me (Pete?) if you increase the disc size without changing the caliper does the extra disc surface area get used?
Old 08 February 2000, 10:43 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

strong

Because the pad is the same size, the swept area is only increased proportionally with the increase in radius; as for each revolution the pad will sweep a larger circumference and thus area. The additional surface areaof the disc does assist in cooling of the disc (The additional volume of the disc means heat build up is slower. However drilling holes or grooves will reduce the swept area (by a small amount)

The biggest differences with larger discs are the increased levarage the pads have (increasing the power of the brakes) and
larger heat capacity of the discs (holding fade off for longer)

Paul