Braided brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 1999, 12:02 AM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

It's always nice when people talk confidently about things

All I have to do now is get hold of the MY99 brakes (the donor car is awaiting delivery of a nice set of Brembos from Mr Croney... Hurry up Pete! )

Thanks for all your advice gents...

Cameron
Old 01 September 1999, 10:21 AM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi

I'm about to "inherit" a set of front brakes from an MY99 to fit onto my MY98 Terzo

I was recommended to get hold of a set of Braided brake hoses - so off I went to Demon Tweeks, phoned up, and hey Presto! They arrived this morning.

I have two questions which perhaps someone who is less mechanically naive than I can answer:

1) Rightly or wrongly, I let Demon Tweeks send me whatever lines they thought best. They're made by Goodridge. Is this good or bad?!

2) The pack says "If the package is not designated DOT or TUV approved then these brakelines are intended for competition and off road use only". I can't see a sticker on the package and therefore, it looks like they're for competition only. Looking through the Demon Tweeks catalogue, I can only see one reference to Subaru Braided lines. Should I be trying to return them and going somewhere else or are these the ones to have?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give...

The Mechanically Naive one (aka Cameron)
Old 01 September 1999, 11:24 AM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi

Don't worry, the Goodridge lines are fine and are used by everyone I can think of.

I've personally fitted them to several bikes and an Esprit, and the only time I had any problems was when the earth lead to the engine broke, and they melted when a mechanic tried to start the engine.

Matt

Old 01 September 1999, 11:28 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Hi,

unless I am mistaken, TUV is a German rating that basically means that the parts will pass a German MOT. Whilst not relevant in the UK, it should be a sign of a quality part. Although I may be wrong!
Goodridge are tops.

Robski
Old 01 September 1999, 11:38 AM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Yep, that sounds familiar... which is why I am a little worried, since the package does NOT indicate that they are DOT or TUV approved.

Has anyone seen a set of these lines which *are* approved?

Cameron
Old 01 September 1999, 11:56 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cameron.

I suspect that you will not find one that is. I think that I am correct in saying that no Impreza has steel braided hoses as standard so none will have gone through the testing process' required to gain 'the seal of approval'.

They are all designed to a much higher standard and Goodridge are a very well known company in this field, Stick them on they will be miles batter than the standard ones.

Mike.
Old 01 September 1999, 02:26 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have Goodridge hoses fitted to my MY97. They were supplied and gitted by ScoobySport.

The difference wasn't noticed until I got to the M25, and WOW!!! The feel from the brakes were incrediable! The problem like with most upgrades, you soon get use to them! I'm now after a set of Brembos!!

Andy
Old 01 September 1999, 06:05 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Cameron

Don't blame me... Italy shuts for August.

We try to plan stock levels, but under estimated demand.
Old 01 September 1999, 11:09 PM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

I had heard from a few sources that you were a Git, Pete, but I didn't know you were offering gitting (sic) as a service to others (ref: typo in earlier email)

More seriously: I've now discovered that "TUV approved" lines are available. Seems like I should swap them? Any comments, Pete? Which ones do you normally use?

(Argument for keeping: competition spec is presumably "high spec". Argument for returning: competition spec may have shorter life span...)

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

Old 02 September 1999, 02:13 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

What make are the TUV approved ones?
Are they steel braided?

If you've never heard of them I would think carefully about it.

The Goodridge ones will out last you (and most of the major components on you car probably).

The choice is yours.

Mike.
Old 02 September 1999, 10:09 AM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mike,

The approved ones are also Goodridge braided lines.

FWIW, they're on P172 of the red "Motorsport Parts and accessories" catalogue (ie not the blue "Road tuning and performance" catalogue) (which is bizarre in its own right!)

Ever get the feeling that a simple question had opened a can of complicated worms?!

Cameron
Old 02 September 1999, 10:55 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

It looks like you're on a winner all round then, go for it. Let us all know what you think once they are fitted.

Mike
Old 02 September 1999, 03:59 PM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Just to end the thread, the Competition spec lines went back to DT this lunchtime, along with a request for the Road-spec lines as a replacement.

They seemed quite happy with this.

I'll open a new thread if anything dramatic shows up with the road-spec lines...

Thanks all

Cameron
Old 10 September 1999, 10:47 AM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

...rather than open up a new thread I figured it would be easier to finish off where we started...

Demon Tweeks called me today to report that they'd been on the phone to Goodridge to check the road- versus competition- spec situation.

The word from Goodridge is that the TUV (road) approval is only really a problem for Germany, where the "ends of the hoses need to be crimped" (apparently).

With respect the UK the "competition-spec" comments are just an unfortunate consequence of Goodridge reusing the same packaging as they would for sales in Germany of non-approved kit.

The bottom line: According to Goodridge & DT, the "competition-spec" lines should be fine, so DT are sending them back to me today.

All I need now is the brake kit from the donor car...

thanks all

Cameron
Old 10 September 1999, 02:57 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Cameron

We use Goodridge.

They will have crimped ends and the in-line connector, for fixing to the damper bracket.

They will indeed "out last the car".
Old 02 October 1999, 05:47 PM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Hi all

Thought I'd post a "match report"... my new MY99 brakes were fitted this morning.

Pedal feel is much improved and braking is generally easier to do with confidence! I left the donor car's old pads in (they still have some life left in them) so doubtless things will improve further when the car gets its next service and some nice new pads...

Dealer reported that a locating pin (found on the end of the standard brake hoses from the MY99 car) didn't appear on *either* the MY98 standard hoses *or* the Goodridge hoses.

I've chosen not to worry too much about this (since I never had the locating pins on my original hoses in the first place), but I'm curious as to why they were required on the MY99 but not before?

cheers

Cameron