How to... change front brake pads???

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 1999, 08:58 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,

I was about to change my front brake pads over the weekend, but I need some advice before proceding further.

At the back of each standard pad there are two thin metal plates. They are the same, curved, shape as the pad itself, the one which contacts the pad having three slots in it, the other being "unslotted". They each have lugs on them which locate in "dents" formed in the side of pad's backplate.

What are these metal plates for? Do I need to install them onto the new ones I'm fitting?

The reason I ask is that the pads I'm fitting do not have "dents" formed in their backplate which would accomodate the lugs of these plates. Before doing some drastic work such as angle grinding some new "dents", or reforming (and probably breaking!) the lugs I'd apprecite some advice. Has anyone had the same problems? If so what was your solution?

Cheers,
Colin.

P.S.
The pads are EBC Greenstuff. Yes, I know some folks hate them, but they've never caused any problems on any other vehicle I've owned.
Old 13 September 1999, 05:53 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They sound like anti-sqeal shims to me.

You could install the pads without them, but you could get some squealling noise from the brakes.