Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Basic tyre questions

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 12:57 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic tyre questions

Would have used the search function if it had come back so apologies for any recurring questions but....

1. Is 12,000 miles normal for the replacement of the Potenza RE011's that my Bug Eye comes as standard with?

2. Only the fronts need replacing. Is this normal? I was expecting uniform wear on all four corners.

3. Can I put other rubber on the front and if so what is recommended for all round performance/value for money?

cheers

Steve
Old 26 February 2004, 01:13 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JockyTT

1. Is 12,000 miles normal for the replacement of the Potenza RE011's that my Bug Eye comes as standard with?
I can't say for that particular tyre, but (depending on the way you drive) 12000 seems well within the realms of possibility. I'm sure people have gone through tyres in half that if theyve really given them stick!

2. Only the fronts need replacing. Is this normal? I was expecting uniform wear on all four corners.
Have the tyres been rotated at all? I think the fronts are going to take a bit more of a pounding as they not only put power down but do the steering. If they hadnt been rotated I would expect heavier wear at the front.

3. Can I put other rubber on the front and if so what is recommended for all round performance/value for money?
If by other rubber you mean another brand/tyre I dont think it is advisable as handling and grip is meant to be quite 'entertaining' I had thought even having tyres with the same tread pattern (ie the same type of tyre) but of vastly different tread depths (ie two worn and two new) wasnt ideal due to the diffs - but apparently that isnt that big of a deal really - although again the handling may suffer.

As for recommendations - Goodyear F1 GSD3 are looked upon highly here (I get my first set next week so will see if they live up to the hype) and a lot of people rate the Toyo T1-S tyres which are usually a little cheaper. I have also heard that the Avon ZZ3 is meant to be pretty good, and somone was saying the other day that one of the Vredestein tyres was meant to be excellent value for money. As with a lot of things though, tyres are quite a personal thing and what suits one person may not suit another.

DISCLAIMER - I'm no expert but I think what Ive said is vaguely right - at least in some areas

Last edited by JohnMcC; 26 February 2004 at 01:18 PM. Reason: reerly bad spolling
Old 26 February 2004, 01:16 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Never had potenza's, so cant comment on them.

Mileage dependant on your driving style more than anything. 12K sounds pretty reasonable (was it even wear I take it?).

The wear on front is normal as these are your steering wheels, so they take alot more of pounding that the rears, especially fast cornering can reduce the life of them quite drastically.

I'd keep to same tyre brands on front and rear, so you get same performance characteristics - some tyres are better in the dry/wet than others, so would perform differently and quite likely to the detriment of the balance and safety.
Old 26 February 2004, 01:22 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Thanks John and Marky

I'm no hooligan, but I was expecting more like 15k. I'm not actually down to the tyre wear indicator yet but Mr Franchised Dealer reckons they need replacing.

As far as uneven wear goes, you confirm my suspicions, but I'll have tracking checked when I get them replaced anyway. They haven't been rotated as far as I'm aware.

I'll probably get another set of Potenzas and rotate to get the wear even, then I can replace all four with a different brand if I so choose.

Anyone else with any opinions?

cheers

Steve

Last edited by JockyTT; 26 February 2004 at 01:26 PM. Reason: crap speeling ;-)
Old 29 February 2004, 01:21 AM
madmoog
Scooby Regular

In my youf, in my 205GTi I would get through a set of A008's in 8K, only putting about 55bhp (flywheel) through each tyre.

Do an easy pro-rata. So 12k isn't nesseccarily too bad.

It all depends on time of year, surface, type of driving. power etc. in no particular order.

madmoog

p.s. I still have the 205 after 15 years (also a STi3 wagon) and recently got through a set of A032 (essentially soft road/track tyres with whats called and aquatusk tread) in 5K, but the grip and response was awsome and worth ebvery penny.

p.p.s. Pay your money and take your choice.... enjoy!