Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Horrible vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2004, 11:15 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Horrible vibrations

Tried to do a search for this, but the search facility does not look like it is up and running yet.

MY03WRX

Getting really bad vibrations (starting from 45mph and peaking at about 70mph) through my steering wheel.

Recent changes to the car include -

New front pagid pads for KAD brake system (I 'ran' them in properly...light braking for 1st 500 miles and then 5 x hard braking in quick succession) - no vibrations on old pads.

changed between 2 different sets of alloys, each fitted with new goodyear F1's - vibration felt with each set.

No discernable difference under braking...had the alloys the car is sitting on balanced today and if anything, this has made the siutation worse.

Hoping to get the car down to Xtreme Scoobies early on Friday for them to have a look (hoping to still partake in Brands Hatch with Evo at lunchtime)

Any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks.
Old 05 February 2004, 07:57 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

New front pagid pads for KAD brake system (I 'ran' them in properly...light braking for 1st 500 miles and then 5 x hard braking in quick succession) - no vibrations on old pads.

what pads did you fit?? this is NOT the recomended "bedding" procedure for most Pagid materials!!
post or mail me some further info and i'll see what i can do

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 05 February 2004, 03:11 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stockcar, you have PM
Old 05 February 2004, 08:00 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

The vibration is felt during normal driving, not just under braking, right?

New tyres fitted? Suspect a balance problem, or buckled wheel. Some tyre fitters are crap at balancing, but surprisingly good at bending you wheels (especially cheap alloys

Richard.
Old 05 February 2004, 08:35 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

I hope they haven't damaged the alloys - they are normal STi ones so not sure if they are classed as 'cheap' or not.

I'm hoping on the balancing issue.
Old 05 February 2004, 08:52 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

not recieved anything...............try............ info@asperformance.com

cheers, alyn
Old 05 February 2004, 10:32 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

oops, tried a Private Message through Scoobynet, obviously didn't work...although it's showing as 'sent' in my profile box...hmmm

I'll drop you an email, although I'm out all day tomorrow, assuming that Xtreme Scoobies don't find anything too wrong with the car before I mosey on down to Brands Hatch for the afternoon...
Old 06 February 2004, 06:44 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Don't wish to hijack but I am experiencing EXACTLY the same with my MY99 turbo.

Have balanced, geommetry checked, 4xbrand new Toyo's, balanced again, geommetry checked again, different set of wheels tried, all to no avail.

Local main dealer has told me they now WON'T even look at the car as they can't think of anything else it could be!!

Could you please let me know if you get your problem resolved and what it was?

I have had suggested via SN that it could be mis-aligned propshaft, broken engine mounts, play in the steering rack or even a loose hub but as I'm 'persona non-gratis' at the main dealer I have yet to have these checked.

Good luck.
Blobster
Old 07 February 2004, 10:42 AM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

I had the wheels re-balanced (3rd time, 3rd different place) at R-Tec (a bit Max Power, but better than the Kwik Fit muppets) this morning and first impressions seem to be that the problem is 'better' if not totally 'fixed'. Interestingly I asked them to swap backs to fronts, which may have helped?

Planning on getting Prodrive springs fitted soon, so will have the geometry checked/adjusted at the same time.

I'll post anything more as I test drive over the next few days.
Old 07 February 2004, 10:35 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

When they balanced the wheels, did you watch and check to see if the rims were running true?

How many miles have you done? Wheel bearings?

Don't understand Blobster's dealer reaction. You are either completely mad, or there is a something wrong. If there's something wrong, it can be found and fixed.

Richard.

PS I am assuming that you are not mad, Blobby

Last edited by Hoppy; 07 February 2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08 February 2004, 01:02 PM
jcullen
Scooby Regular

Was going to put up a new post but just saw this one. Had a very odd experience yesterday while on the motorway. Travelling along as usual, doing about eighty when the road surface changes to new tarmac from concrete. As soon as I cross the small bump between surfaces I start to get an increasingly bad judder comming through the steering wheel. Bad enough to make me pull over thinking I may have a puncture. Anyway, Quick check round the car reveals nothing untoward so I set back off again and all seems well for a couple of miles until the juddering returns.
Once home I took both front wheels off to check nothing was loose and to my untrained eye all seems ok.
Anyone got any idea what it could be? I was thinking maybe some balancing weights had come of a wheel or something?

James