mail order Dynamat or other sound-deadening material

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 1999, 03:39 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

I was impressed with how much more solid the doors on Saj's STi Vi are after adding some dynamat. Can anyone tell me where I can get some mail order, how many sheets I need, and how much approx I am looking at?.

I have some Kicker 6.5" component speakers in the doors, and the membrane and inner trim panel vibrate horribly. I seem to remember being told that the Dynamat goes on the inside of the door skin, but what can I do about the Buzzing membrane and door trim?.

Anyone used any other materials which might help with these problems?.

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Old 25 October 1999, 04:02 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

One pack of dynamat (£15ish) will do both doors.

to sort out the interior trim buzzing I bought some 1" thick sheet foam, cut it to size and mounted it behind the trim.

et voila..no rattles great sound.
Old 25 October 1999, 04:23 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

when I bought dynamat I got a great deal on dynamat super (£25 per roll) I bought twelve rolls and think I have about 6 left. If you are nearby, let me know and I may be able to help you out. I am near scooby sport in southend area.

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 28-10-1999).]
Old 25 October 1999, 04:50 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies (again)

Lee - did you choose the foam thickness so that it presses lightly against the membrane? I've never had the doors apart, so I don't know how they are configured inside.

Adam - I live in London, but maybe we could sort something out by post. I imagine that the dynamat is quite heavy, so that may cost a bit!.

Thanks guys.

Alex

P.S. lee - were you at the Berks meet on Sunday? Shame I didn't spot you, as I would have liked to check out your nifty install.

[This message has been edited by AlexM (edited 25-10-1999).]
Old 25 October 1999, 05:41 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Yes, was at reading, left about 1.30 ish cos of the rain.

I live in rochford not a million miles away from you ! welcome to pop over anytime.
Old 26 October 1999, 11:21 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Hmm.. Didn't see you there Lee. Mine was the dirty black plain WRX with folded wing mirrors. Ha! I have something you lot don't! Mind you, my engine is positively underpowered compared to all the other ****** there

Adam, do you still have all that dynamat left? Are you selling? I wanna do my boot area to get ready for bass-expansion.

pilch
Old 26 October 1999, 01:46 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Question

Don't know how long this might take, but could someone post a detailed description of how to take the trim off and where/how to place the dynamat.

I overheard Saj demonstrating the difference it makes to the doors at the Essex meet, and I would like to get mine sorted.

Cheers

Dave
Old 27 October 1999, 12:16 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice one!
Old 27 October 1999, 09:53 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

David,
This is one thing I haven't screwed up, so here goes.. (on my MY94 WRX, so may differ). I only used 1 sq ft of dynamat each door, around the speaker, but it makes the difference. There is no need (flamesuit on!) to mat the whole interior of the door.

1) Remove the screw in the handle well (on later cars there is a screw behind the wingmirror triangle)
2) Remove the surround from the door handle (pull out, then towards rear of car)
3) Pull door trim away a sction at a time. Its 'popped' in. If you hear tearing, STOP!
4) Unclip the harness connector and remove trim away from door
5) There is a plastic sheet held on with black chewing gum or something. Pull it out and tape it up to the window
6) Remove the entire speaker array from the inside of the door (3 screws?) and unclip from harness
7) Clean 12" square area around speaker hole with white spirit or similar, wipe clean with clean rag
8) Get a hairdryer (yes, really!)
9) Heat the area with the hairdryer, feeding a section at a time onto the metal. Heat the matting too
10) Once pushed into place (push HARD!) cut excess away, including the speaker hole!! You will also need to shape the map to allow the bottom push-clips to be accessed for the door trim
11) Replace any dislodged clips into the door trim, and reverse the disassembly procedure

I think thats concise enough. As I said, mine is a MY94 WRX, so MY99 STi lucky ba$tard owners will have to look for the other screws if there are any!

pilch the (successful in this case) bodger

[This message has been edited by pilch (edited 27-10-1999).]
Old 28 October 1999, 10:18 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Cool

You dont really even need to a whole roll for both doors as it only requires strips not vast areas covered. Saying that I absolutely plastered mine as it deadens road noise if you use a lot, is fire proof and makes the feel of the car more substantial when you close the door.

Alex, I spend loads of time in London. Also live a lot of the time in Bushey (north west) so if you want i can meet you. Super is well worth using over normal. They tone down the improvement it makes as claims to six times the effectiveness for the same weight seem a bit hard to believe. It is definitely worth considering.

Let me know, its not going anywhere.

Adam

Old 29 October 1999, 10:04 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Adam,

I'll take you up on that.

I've mailed you with my contact info.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 31 October 1999, 11:25 AM
Kevin Bree
Scooby Newbie

I find the car to be very noisy on some road surfaced and am trying to decide what to do.

Apart from Dynamat which is imported from USA are there any other products worth considering. I noticed that the Halfords catalogue referred to sound deadening material which they don't stock but have to be ordered. Has anyone tried it...?
Old 31 October 1999, 09:59 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Quick note - on later cars (like my MY00) there's another screw behind a little grey cover, near the edge of the door.

+ I noticed our local Wilco has some sound deading material too - might investigate it some time.

Richard
Old 01 November 1999, 09:15 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Wilco stuff is very heavy, but works (I had my cd changer coated in this stuff mounted next to 2 12" subs.

Rockford do some spray on stuff that works well (need an air line and must be masked off well) the beauth is its very light. Not as good deadening as the same volume of dynamat, but about 10 times as good for weight. Not cheap tho.

rob