Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Sensitive to tyre pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2004, 10:29 AM
richrussell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently my Legacy GTB developed an 'interesting' handling characteristic. On roundabouts, the back end would slide out, like driving on snow/ice. I would put it down to worn tyres if I hadn't had new ones fitted a month ago. So I had to tiptoe round roundabouts at under 15mph in order not to stray out of my lane.

The interesting thing is that it would be perfect Subaru grippiness on left hand bends (eg junctions), but on right hand and roundabouts it would be like driving a rear wheel drive car on snow.

After checking the tyre pressures, I found the left rear tyre was 3psi higher than it should be. After letting it down to the correct pressure, handling has returned to normal. I suspect the tyre fitters incorrectly inflated that tyre to the same as the front ones, and it's taken a month for the tyres to wear in properly before this behaviour appeared.

I really didn't think that 3psi difference on the rear tyres would make such a huge impact on handling. Are Imprezas and other Legacies prone to this?

Rich.
Old 20 January 2004, 12:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Imprezas are totally susceptable to slight fluctuations in their tyre pressures.

Think it's actually mentioned in the SIDC FAQ bit ...

Certainly worth keeping a close eye on them as even 1 or 2psi makes quite a difference to mine