Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Help - Awful wrenching noise from NS Front - Any advice ??

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 08:52 PM
mkcolin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Help...I have just got home in my MY99 UK and found that with my wheels turned left or right, under power or rolling, back or forth, there is a loud metal clicking noise. Like metal being stressed and then snapping. There is NO noise at all when the wheel is straight and im going back or forth at any speed.???

I have ?gold (aussie things) drilled and grooved disks which do not seem damaged or scratched, but I can only really see them from the outside. I hate jacking up cars and would not like to fiddle with it.

I put the wheel on full left and right lock and looked at the bits I could and the arm things and joint things all seem intact. I noticed that on full lock if I push the car wing downwards it can be made to make the clicking noise.

The pads are low, not too low, but it does not make the usual grinding noise.

Any ideas ? Any tests I can do to establish anything ? What do knackered bearings sound like ? Do the cv joints go ? Its only when the wheel is turned...

Should I drive it to the garage ? Can I cause any damage ?

Any quick advice would be welcome before I drive it 30 miles to my usual dealer, only for them to tell me they wont be able to fit it in for a week !!

Thanks in advance,

Colin...
Old 12 January 2004, 09:03 PM
mkcolin
Scooby Newbie

Please note that its not a screeching like the power steering whine and does not dound like the low pads scrape which leads to a screach at speed, its more of a nasty sound like a bit if wire being forced around the hub and betewwn the pad and disc and then exiting with a snap and continuing again, on and on...and only with the wheel turned left or right....!
Old 12 January 2004, 09:09 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

sounds awfully like a CV joint..

(the greasy bit under the rubber boot on the ends of the driveshafts)

Andy
Old 12 January 2004, 11:03 PM
mkcolin
Scooby Newbie

Thanks. I thought that a cv joint made uniform clicking noises, the duration between click being dependent upon the speed of rotation ? Are there any tests I can do (preferibly with wheel still on the car) ?

Is it safe to drive 30 odd miles to a garage if it was the cv joint ?

Ta. Colin...

[Edited by mkcolin - 1/12/2004 11:04:25 PM]

[Edited by mkcolin - 1/12/2004 11:05:18 PM]
Old 13 January 2004, 12:03 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Got up this morning and tried it again and the noise is gone !!
Its cooled down but had not been moved. By the time I did my 30 miles, the noise was back but not as bad. The problem is definitely heat related. The brakes would have been roasting last night. Does heat exagerate a cv joint problem or just a pad and disc problem ??

Thanks...
Old 13 January 2004, 05:15 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

I have had my pads changes now and its gone. I believe that the bit of tin in them as part of the wear indicator was scratching and pinging into the holes and grooves on my discs. Ive gotta take it steady for a while, but hopefully that will be it.

Thanks.