Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

dealerships and tyre pressures

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2003, 02:39 PM
rb5tfh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've finally gone and done it, trading in the rb5 ppp for a bugeyed STI prodrive (needed to be done - reliability etc. . .). On the test drive, performed not that long after the car had been dropped at the garage, the STI behaved impeccably, although noticeably a heavier car than the old RB5. Steering feel and grip were great. However, as usual, I was told that the car would get a full service before I picked it up. On the way home, I noticed the steering was wallowy, the grip was compromised at the front and the car suffered from huge understeer. Get home, check the tyre pressures and not one is within 2 psi of the recommended tyre pressure. The two front tyres were 31 and 29, while the rears were 27 and 26. Took the car for a spin with the new tyre pressures, and its brilliant to drive again (do miss the old RB5 though . . .)

Now, I can understand, if the equipment is a little bit out, but how the F*** can you get both front and both rear tyres to be different psi? Do they just put their hand over the valve and guess? Everyone seems to know that small changes in tyre pressure have a huge effect on handling, so how can they be so lax in such an important area????