Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Geometry/Tracking/Bumpsteer - help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2003, 12:55 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have noticed that the inside of offside front wheel is completely bald! Nearside wheel is fine.

1. Does this mean that my geometry needs to be sorted? The local garage does 4-wheel lazer alignment - would this be the cure?

2. Is this the same as tracking? If not, whats the difference?

3. Is the Bumpsteer removal just a particular geometry/tracking setting? If so, what are these settings? Can I ask the local garage to use these settings?

4. Sometimes I have to fight with the steering wheel to keep the car in a straight line - it just likes to pull left and right randomly - is this symptomatic of bad tracking/geometry setting?

Any help massively appreciated!
Old 01 October 2003, 04:54 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Akshay67,

Ashkay - interesting - my tyres are going bald on both outside edges - and I also have problems with directional stability!
Old 01 October 2003, 08:33 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

You may wish to check this thread out,

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=250319

Simon.
Old 01 October 2003, 10:38 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Akshay,

A lot of people go to PS because the guys there are so particular. Yes, you could supply the settings to a local guy but he might not be quite so concerned about getting them spot on.

With regards to the directional thing, what conditions does this occur under? eg is it under braking, at slow speeds, etc. Also, what tyres are you running?

Lastly, when are you coming to a meet?
Old 01 October 2003, 10:48 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Wink

SB - I'll probably be eating on Bond Street before coming to a meet

I'll be at Ace Cafe next week - was there last month too...

When are the next meets?

Car pulls left/right at slow speeds and under braking - I have to avoid driving on the 1st lane of Great West road because it feels like I'm gonna go into the parked cars!
Old 02 October 2003, 02:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ok I ain't an expert but here goes

I have noticed that the inside of offside front wheel is completely bald! Nearside wheel is fine.

1. Does this mean that my geometry needs to be sorted? The local garage does 4-wheel lazer alignment - would this be the cure?

A)Sounds like your tracking is out, do you park up against, have hit or regualrly go up and down a curb on this side, that would do it, along with the offside F/t tyre clipping a curb or such whilst driving would put the tracking out.
I would always get the tracking checked every time i get new rubber, most places check it fore free and only charge to adjust it. False economy not to.

4 wheel alignment is really tracking the rears as well as the fronts for toe in/out. Toe in/out is the the angle the wheels are set perpendiclar to the road. Most cars toe in slightly so when moving forward the force pushed the wheels pretty much square on to the road.

Aligning all 4 should make it handle better and reduce if not cure the tracking problem and any pulling to a side of the road (unless the pulling is cause by the chassis or suspension being bent or a binding brake or such)

2. Is this the same as tracking? If not, whats the difference?

A)Yes it is the same

3. Is the Bumpsteer removal just a particular geometry/tracking setting? If so, what are these settings? Can I ask the local garage to use these settings?

A) the bumpsteer mod is adjustment of your castor/camber/tracking and a tweak to the streering rack. The settings are pretty much unique to Powerstation as they put in the time money and effort to reserch it and perfect it. You are unlikey to find anyone else offering it although Prodrive do a similar thing i believe.

4. Sometimes I have to fight with the steering wheel to keep the car in a straight line - it just likes to pull left and right randomly - is this symptomatic of bad tracking/geometry setting?

A) this could be tracking, an already worn tyre, bent chassis or binding brakes. Likley to be tracking by the sounds of things.

All imho.

Good luck and i would look at the tracking first.

Paul

Old 03 October 2003, 01:01 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Paul - very helpful.

I have smacked the curb a few times. I've had the car for 2 years and bought it second hand and didn't get any tracking geometry done.

I'm just gonna go for 4-wheel lazer aligment - I spoke to the guy at the local garage and he said he'll do it. I'm just torn on whether to do that or shell out the dosh and get bumpsteer removal!

Cheers!
Old 03 October 2003, 01:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

You are very welcome!

As far as the bumpsteer mod goes i never had it done but was sorely tempted after driving someone elses car who had had it done. I would have but i left the job i had and the car (sadly) shortly afterwards.

Powerstation as far as i know did it first and have a good reputation. They do something 'clever' with the steering rack as well as the geometry. Worth giving them a call to discuss, i did around 2 years ago and cannot remember all what was said, they where very helpful.

Not sure if anyone else does the exact same mod as PS.

Be intersted to hear how you get on.

All the best

Paul

Old 03 October 2003, 08:33 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
akshay,

Next meet on my list is Jap Performance Day at Santa Pod. And it's gonna be MASSIVE