Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

P1 Wheel loosing colour

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 04:01 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any P1 owners had problems with their wheels loosing the colour, mine seem to be going dark brown/black in places?
Old 14 July 2003, 08:15 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Sillysi,

Do you (over)use wheel cleaner? They are basically mild corrosives, over time they will degrade the paintwork.

Craig.
Old 15 July 2003, 05:44 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I guy that I know that valets cars told me that he had done a few scoobs in the past with these wheels (which I have too) and that you need to really look after them otherwise they discolour.

From what I remember him saying, I think he was going on about the fact that if you didnt clean them often enough the brake dust would discolour them. Could it be that?

By the same token, as has been mentioned, I would imagine using anything too corrosve to clean them would mess them up too.

As such I'm trying to get in the habit of, if not cleaning the whole car, trying at least to do my wheels as often as possible. But doing it with elbow grease and not much else can be quit knackering!!!
Old 15 July 2003, 09:08 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Only had the P1 a couple of weeks and the wheels were like this when I got it. I did not notice when I picked the car up as I was too excited! On other cars I have used Wonder Wheels and also the Swissol Orange stuff with no problems. I always make sure that I rinse off with plenty of water to remove all the left over cleaning stuff. Maybe the past owner was not so careful. Can the wheels be refurbished to bring them back to their original condition?

Si.