Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear - Brakes - help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2003, 10:22 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 200OMY Scooby has done about 35,000 miles, and I have noticed that the rear disks aren't as shiny as the front disks - there seem to be marks on the surface of the metal as if the pads just aren't biting. They certainly don't get hot like the front disks do. It's the same on both rear disks.

I am not sure if braking performance is up to scratch as I haven't got another car to compare it with, but I do have the feeling that they aren't what they used to be. The car has been dealer serviced from new. The handbrake works fine.

Does this suggest that there is a problem with some sort of pressure balancing/relief valve, or have both calipers seized (too much of a coincidence?).

The car is still under warranty so that's not a problem, but I do like to know what I am talking about so the dealer doesn't try to fob me off!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 14 July 2003, 04:37 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The handbrake on a MY00 has a separate brake shoe inside the rear disk, so that won't affect anything in the stopping dept.
Strip them down (Easy job) and give the pads a going over with sandpaper / file to remove any glaze.
As for heat - the fronts do about 75% of the braking so they are bound to be a lot hotter after use.
Another good tip is to replace the brake fluid (Again easy job)because if you've cooked it, the brakes will feel spongy.

Chris