Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY99 rear caliper..cover or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 10:46 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFAIK, the ones with Subaru on them are 2-pot calipers as fitted to STI's (possible only Type-R's reading the other post).

The open type are the single-pot "sliding calipers" as fitted to std UK (and European) MY99/00 cars.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 7/4/2003 10:49:14 AM]
Old 07 April 2003, 03:50 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl would have a hard time surviving in that environment. The surface of the caliper is much rougher than it likes, and both the vinyl and the adhesive don't like being heated.

Possibly the easiest way to preserve the logo would be either to mask it off prior to applying the new caliper paint, or create a stencil that can be used to re-spray the logo after the base colour has been applied.

Edited to say that vinyl stickers could play a part. If you went to a signwriters and got them to produce a couple of Subaru logos in the correct size, but asked them not to remove the waste material before they gave them to you, you could use the waste "negative" portions as a mask, allowing you to spray the logo back with a heat resistant paint.

Oh, and of course you'd then have a couple of free Subaru stickers

[Edited by greasemonkey - 7/4/2003 3:57:54 PM]
Old 04 July 2003, 10:31 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Is it normal that on my MY99 the rear calipers do not have a cover with the Subaru lettering (just like the front ones)?
I just read the thread from Craigfin and makes me wonder as his rear calipers have Subaru on them, whereas mine seem to be somehow......"open"
Old 04 July 2003, 10:48 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Hello Alberick,

What type of car is it? Home or Jap spec?

The lettering on my rear calipers are printed on, where as the fronts are raised. This will pose a problem when I come to paint them very soon.

Craig.
Old 04 July 2003, 12:00 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Mine is a MY99 European car. And I thought that they have 2 pots rear and 4 pots front.

Ozzy,
you mention single-pot sliding calipers... does that mean that they single pot after all? Not 2-pot? Or is there something I misunderstand here?

Craigfin,
I can see how the lettering is made, they're the same as the front caliper.... Although I don't have my calipers painted, I saw many people having them red, blue, gold and somehow the lettering didn't seem to be a problem...
Old 04 July 2003, 01:13 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

The rears on all euro and uk cars (including P1) are single pot sliding calipers (either vented or unvented discs). Jap WRX and STI also have these calipers.

It is only the TypeR/22B that has the two pot caliper that 'matches' the four pot front. There maybe some other Jap ones that have these but AFAIK it's just them.

Tony.
Old 04 July 2003, 01:15 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Also the lettering is not like the front calipers which is easy to paint.... the rears have no raised letters. Maybe have a vinyl stickers made that you could apply after you've painted them?

Tony.