Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Had a blowout

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2003, 12:38 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

As the title says, on my nearside front wheel. Rim is scratched not sure if it is bent or otherwise damaged though.

How can i get it checked, and would it be preferable to change both front tyres rather than just put one new one on?

The existing ones are fairly new.

Also, who is cheapest for Goodyear f1's please? Or does anyone have a fairly new one for sale?

Size: 205x50x16
Old 22 April 2003, 01:25 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Get a tyre fitter to balance the rim on it's own (ie without a tyre on) You'll soon know if it will be OK.

Also, you can try to gently tap the rim with a small hammer to see if it rings. If it doesn't then it is likely to be cracked.

Go for 2 tyres if the other tyre isn't very nearly new. You can get all sorts of funnies in handling with mismatched tyres...
Measure the tread on the old tyre, and the new one. Anything more than 1mm will probably show up & try to turn your car into a professional hedge finder. Be safe - tyres are the only thing holding you on the road!
Old 22 April 2003, 01:28 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks dnb.

I was already thinking that i would have to change both, but i will get me ruler out and doublecheck.

Has anyone got a partly worn Goodyear that they took off in similar circumstances that i could buy?