Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Just got my F1's - question

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2003, 09:58 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

After a visit to the Cheltenham and Gloucester to draw out the readies for 4 new F1's I'm really pleased and am busy scrubbing them in.

Question: Before I fitted them the old Bridgestones were mirror smooth on the back (inside quarter - that hopefully now fixed due to having geometry set up) and the back end felt more than a little twitchy. Thing is, the new F1's feel a little twitchy on the back too. This is probably that I'm still sensitive from the previous tyres and once the F1's have scrubbed up it should be fine but I am wondering if the geometry set up may be to do with this? For example, overtaking a slow lorry on twisty country road with full boot the back nearly went right out but reflexes sorted it. Any ideas?

Cheers!

:-)

Mike
Old 21 February 2003, 11:02 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Question

What's the geometry settings ?

What tyre pressures ?
Old 22 February 2003, 02:26 PM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You really do need the wheels set up on a 4 wheel alignment rig.

Once set it runs on rails. Had mine done new 11 months ago now.

The difference between acceptable settings and perfect are considerable.

Just replaced OE tyres with F1's (£408 inc) all tyres worn perfectly across tread.

F1's feel so much grippier (softer), more comfortable, and quieter, yet on fast dry sharpish corners not sure if they match the OE Bridge's ?

How you gettin' on with the new springs??? (remember mode on)

Did you go "Prodrive" or "Eibach pro-kit" ???? Day to day London roads acceptable ride or nightmare??? Any views.

Cheers and get that alignment done, best £60 -£ 80 quid ever spent. (Didn't they do it when your springs were fitted?)
Old 22 February 2003, 05:17 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

I put F1`s on my car about 7000 miles ago, when I drove on them for the first time I wasn`t impressed and didn`t think that they were grippier than my narrower bridgestone SO`3s. But after some serious scrubbing in (about 1500-2000 miles!) they seemed a lot better. Recentely I took off the alloys with F1`s on, and put my old 16`s with bridgestones back on (took the alloys into the bathroom to clean them!!) I had the old tyres on for a few days, and jesus, what a difference, the bridgestones were pants! It was understeer city, the car was all over the place. I suppose thats when you notice the difference the most, when you swap from good tyres back to average ones. What the F1`s seem to need is loads of scrubbing in before they reach their best!
Old 23 February 2003, 12:06 AM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have had the geometry set up at Powerstation and in general it feels better than before. Maybe the twitchyness (?!) I describle is down to the F1's not being fully scrubbed in, it feels better today. I checked the tyre pressures and they were a bit out so set them to 33 front and 31 back but they were not stone cold so I'll check them in the morning.

The Eibach's that were fitted are really good if a little firm. Day to day driving in London - which I do lots - is great. They feel firmer than the Pro Drive springs I had on my Legacy but not overly firm. Either way, it's a big improvement over standard set up!

Cheers!

:-)

Mike
Old 24 February 2003, 10:08 PM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

Must agree with Scoobdoo, i was a bit disapointed with the F1's after the superb So3 but they have improved a lot now they are well scrubbed in and are excellent in the wet. I still think the sidewall's were a bit stiffer on the Bridgestones giving a sharper turn in.
Old 25 February 2003, 02:33 PM
Ricky81 STi
Scooby Regular

£60-£80 for a four Wheel Alignment

Rip-off I do it for in round a tenner using a new Lazer Alignment System.